• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

13" mbpro (aluminum) for video editing/photoshop

Reaction score
Thinking of purchasing 13" aluminum and then using external monitor/HDTV to do high def (1080i) video editing and photoshop work. I'm wondering if this little laptop will suffice. Or will it bog down during rendering and dvd-authoring. Any first-hand experience with the new 13"mbp would be appreciated.
Also, i already have Sony Vegas (Windows program) to edit. So I was planning on running Fusion or Parallels to make use of Vegas. Any thoughts if that will overwhelm the duo-core/graphics card? thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac * 2.8 Ghz Intel Core i7 * 16GB 1333 Mhz DDR3 * 1TB HD *AMD Radeon HD 6770M 512 MB
The 13" does not have the extra GDDR3, and neither does the entry level 15". If you're going to be doing a lot of editing and graphics work, the extra graphics power will be crucial, so definitely go for the 15" inch with the better specs.

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
Running an emulation can be pretty taxing depending on the application. I would imagine video editing to fall into that category. >_>""

Why not just run it in boot camp?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2013 rMBP, i7, 750m gpu, OSX versions 10.9.3, 10.10
I would NEVER do video editing or real photo work in a VM. Honestly - it's not a bright move. VMs are great for many things, but they are not designed for the intensive work and disk access that video editing entails, nor some of the ram hogging, etc. Plus, in a VM on a dual core machine, the most you can really allocate of your processor is a single core otherwise you run into synchronization problems and issues with competition between the host and client for cpu time (if you do some searching at VMWare, they don't recommend setting dual cpu setting on machines with a single dual core cpu - they only recommend using multi-cpu settings on machines with quad cores or mulitple cpus with dual cores)

If you have vegas, and plan to use it - there is no real reason to buy a Mac if all you're going to use it for is photoshop. If you were planning on using iMovie or Final Cut Express or Final Cut Studio - then it would be worth it.

I do have the predecessor to the 13"MBP (the 13" MB unibody 2.4GHz no firewire) and have edited SD and 1080i HD video on it. If it were going to be my only machine, I would have gotten a MBP w/ dedicated GPU and video ram rather then a system with shared video ram. The 13" does work for editing, but I enjoy my editing time much more on my main machine (Mac Pro). If you do a search for posts from me on this topic area, don't remember how far back, I reported back to someone my opinions on Final Cut Studio on my MB 2.4GHz Unibody (9400m w/ 256mb shared ram).

I'd seriously though think about what you are purchasing and why - if you already have and plan to use Vegas, and have no intention of moving to Premiere CS4 or Final Cut for editing video and if most of what you do is video editing, you'll be spending a lot of time bootcamped into Windows to get the full speed of the system - at that rate, you may as well purchase a Windows based laptop rather then purchase a Mac and then have to Purchase a windows license to use bootcamp.

Oh, and if you're curious - authoring doesn't take the big hunk of time - it's the rendering and transcoding that is the brutal part. Rendering isn't bad if you do it frequently enough on the 13" laptop so you don't have like 30 minutes of source to render out. Transcoding - like using FCS Compressor - that will push the cores to the limit and will take a long time (I do most of my heavy transcoding on my mac pro instead of my 13" 2.4GHz machine)

OP
P
Reaction score
Thanks for the great replies.
I'd rather go with a Mac for many reasons.

I have the original FCE HD with all the LiveType extras and stuff. Will that LiveType work with the new OS? I know FCE HD alone will not. I read that FCE 4.0 LiveType lacks some features that were in the HD version.

Also, is it true that with the MBpro's, only one graphic of the two graphics cards is running at a time?

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
...Also, is it true that with the MBpro's, only one graphic of the two graphics cards is running at a time?

Only one is running.

OP
P
Reaction score
Well, as someone pointed out, the mac mini has same specs as entry-level. and i don't know about another $1k to get discrete graphics. So i may just go with mac mini and use iMovie since it can do HD. I'll just have to render as I go.

Although I'm hoping that sometime soon the iMac will have quad-core chips. then I think it'd be worth the extra $$.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.