iPhoto Library - pictures won't delete

P

pmnapier

I thought I understood the iPhoto library structure, but I guess not. I spent some time the other day culling through my photos and deleting a lot. Just general clean-up. I did this the following way: With iPhoto running I go into the "Photo Library" which is supposed to show all photos I've imported into iPhoto. I then deleted various photos by ctrl-clicking them and selecting "move to trash" from the contextual menu. I THOUGHT this would do it. They disappeared from the main library (which they should) and no longer appeared in any associated albums I had created (also as it should be). However, going in via the finder, ~/pictures/iPhoto Library, I find all of the pictures I thought I had deleted are still there, still taking up hard drive space. Is there no way to absolutely delete photos from inside the iPhoto application itself? If not, it's a very cumbersome process and very "un-mac." Suggestions?

Using iPhoto 4.0.3 with OS X 10.3.7

NEVER MIND - Didn't empty the trash!! Sorry everyone.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
You have to empty the trash in iPhoto

Ctrl Click the trash and hit empty
Or File Empty Trash

OP
P

pmnapier

Thanks. I just discovered that and edited my original post. Thanks again.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.4 GHz Intel (unibody), 2 GB RAM; iPhone 3Gs
omg really? that's where i've gone wrong all this time???? thaaaaaaaaanks!!!

Reaction score
Hmm!

I've also been trying to clean up iPhoto files to free some space on my startup drive. I followed the same process of moving the photos that I'd already archived to the trash within iPhoto and then emptying the trash within iPhoto. And Yet, the photos are still on the hard drive in the iPhoto Library folder and I continue to get the following message when I try to add new photos to iPhoto...

"The disk containing your iPhoto library is running low on space."

So... I am not convinced that emptying the trash is actually removing the files from the disk. Any further suggestions?:[

Reaction score
:Confused: I have the same problem like lynnied1 as emptying the trash doesn't delete the original photos. I am using iPhoto '11, iMac 27". Any help would be appreciated.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.