data recovery software

Reaction score
Hi, a friend of mine reformated my external hard drive and now I am trying to get my data back. A friend recommended diskwarrior, but its not a freeware. I know that normally you have for everything a god freeware but I do not know which and I am even not finding any for mac in the net. Would be great if anybody knew something, so I can finally recover the data on my hard disk.

Thank you :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.
Nothing free for this kind of thing, even the software you can buy is expensive £100+. I am also dubious of it's capabilities.
As you have reformatted it's going to be very tough anyway.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
What file format was being used on the external hard drive? If it was HFS+ then it's going to be expensive to recover. However, if the drive was formatted to FAT-32 or even NTFS there are a variety of freeware programs that can recover from a format or deletion but they are Windows programs.

In any event, do not mount or use the drive until you're ready to recover the data.

Regards.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
C2D 2.26 | 500GB Seagate Momentus | 2GB 1066 (soon to be 8)
If there's any way you can get your hands on a windows machine or if you can go into windows on your mac, you can try Recuva - Undelete, Unerase, File and Disk Recovery - Free Download . I had to use it onces on my PC and I have recommended it to other people who needed to recover some data. They always said it worked.

If you can't get your hands on windows then I'm sure baggss is right on with Data Rescue 3.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.