Streaming Music to Other Rooms: AirTunes vs. Sonos

Reaction score
My apologies for what's probably an ignorant question. I've tried searching the forum, but haven't found an answer just yet. The question? I have an iMac in my bedroom with iTunes (obviously), a Pandora account and love to listen to Internet radio (usually through AOL Radio, RadioShift and Digitally Imported). I live in a small apartment, so... no need for anything elaborate. What I want to do, though, is be able to listen to my music (and control it) from the living room. I don't have speakers (yet) as I'm not sure what I should buy. I was headed down the path of just getting the Bose SoundDock for iPhone/iPod, but I'd really like to use my iPhone as the remote (if possible) - or get more out of it than just iTunes/iPod use. From what I gather, AirPort Express (i.e. AirTunes) is an option ... as is Sonos. Both have iPhone apps, too. Sonos looks pricier, yet more feature rich.

Airport Express would only feed from iTunes, but that's ok. While I'd love to be able to listen to other stuff, iTunes would suffice (I'm just tired of burning CD's to play via the DVD player on the TV and/or turning up the Mac REALLY really loud just to hear it in the other room). Sonos looks AMAZING, but it might be overkill for my living situation (though it does let you play Pandora and Internet radio). Cost isn't really an issue, but if I can save... great.

I want something that will stream without any hiccups. No dropped signals. No interference of any sort. I don't want to run wires and I don't want have the space to set up too much equipment. Since I don't have speakers, I was just thinking of something small (the Bose, for instance). Then, again... you may know of an option other than AirTunes or Sonos that would work as well. I think someone mentioned a Logitech "Squeezebox"? Again... small apartment, but would love to listen to music in the living room and use my iPhone as a remote. I know the "Remote" app would work... and that Sonos has one, too. Sonos looks nice, but maybe AirTunes is enough?

Ideas? Sorry for the long, rambling post. Just wanted to provide detail.

Computer: iMac (located in bedroom)
Wireless Router? Yes. G (use it for XBox/MacBook - also in living room)
Desired Location: Living Room
Distance Between the Two Rooms: Right next to each other
Existing Speakers: None. I'm either on the Mac or playing a burned CD...
Amount of Space for Speaker System: Not much; they'd have to be some small speakers (volume will be kept low, too)
Would Like to Stream: iTunes, Internet Radio

Thanks for taking time to read this...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.
Sonos is awesome, but expensive, but it allows you to keep adding stations for other rooms. Airtunes is ok, but fiddly to set up, and apparently not that great sound wise. I am unsure about it's radio capabilities too.
I have a Roku SoundBridge M1001, which you can get very cheap (in the UK under £100). It streams iTunes and radio (man it picks up thousands of radio station when you search!) and sounds great. It's also the easiest thing I have ever set up! 2 minutes work.
Bear in mind you need amplification in the room you're streaming to, regardless of what system you go for.
The Roku is well worth considering.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch MacBook Pro
I am a huge Sonos fan, but AirTunes would be enough for what you need. I just got sick of farting around with it and went with the Sonos. That was years ago so I am not sure how the AirTunes stability has changed. If you have the cash like you said try the Sonos. They have a return policy if you're not completely satisfied (same with the Apple stuff obviously).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.66Ghz Penryn C2D iMac
Get an Airport Express and then pick up Airfoil, you can stream anything you want (even full system audio) to the AE. Airfoil is 20 dollars I believe. They make an iPhone app too that allows you stream the music to your iPhone as well.

OP
T
Reaction score
Thanks everyone. I think I'll get Airport Express and AirFoil. Sonos when/if I get a house.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.