Backing up iTunes Library

A

andremal

As I'm ripping more and more CDs to iTunes, I'm beginning to think about getting a backup going. I'm wondering what methods people use other than the standard burn to a dvd. I'm looking for a backup tool that will only backup new entries rather than the whole collection. Hope I'm making sense...

thx

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
I don't even have my iTunes stored on my iMacs hard drive. I have a 250gb external hard drive which I set to be where my iTunes library is and all the music is stored there

OP
A

andremal

and from your reply, it sounds like you're good with that and don't backup your collection?

Reaction score
Their are lots of backup programs to be found that will do what your asking. Tri backup is a good one but does cost money. I suggest that you do a search on versiontracker or macupdate for backup programs, download the demos and try them out. Hope this is of help to you ?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
andremal said:
and from your reply, it sounds like you're good with that and don't backup your collection?

Well the way I look at it is...I have the music I listen to the most on my iPods and on the External Hard Drive, I turn off the external hard drive when its not being used. There is no operating system on the drive so any system failures will not affect the data on my external drive. And worst comes to worst I still have the CD's

OP
A

andremal

heh, no iPod here. I guess I overlooked that as a backup option... thx bobbins, I'll take a look. Someone I worked with suggested Toast. Anyone have experience with it's backup options? I'll be burning to dvd.

~a

trpnmonkey41 said:
Well the way I look at it is...I have the music I listen to the most on my iPods and on the External Hard Drive, I turn off the external hard drive when its not being used. There is no operating system on the drive so any system failures will not affect the data on my external drive. And worst comes to worst I still have the CD's

Reaction score
Forgot about Toast, yes it has a control Panel with it called 'Deja Vu' which I think you should be able to download and tryout before buying Toast.

I'm sorry to say that I haven't tried it out myself yet so I can't really comment on it's usefulness. However, toast is a great burning program with lots of extra options, well worth the money for a CD/DVD burning program. :cool:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
Well are you looking ot backup on DVD/CD, external drive, etc? Your choice would make a big difference on your options.

Personally the best option is an iPod. If I ever lose my music on my system, I can always pull it off of there. I also have a full backup of my system on an external firewire drive that I update every month. I use SuperDuper! to do the backup.

OP
A

andremal

Thx for the reply Schweb. I'll be burning to DVD, and since it's my music collection, I want to just burn an aac file once obviously. Just looking for a streamlined way to backup AAC's that have been added since the last back up.

OP
B

bhanson

Another thing just came to mind, you could write a simple shell script to check the creation dates of the files, and if the date is newer than your last backup, copy the files to the DVD.

Reaction score
You could also try the iso 9660 format with toast as I believe that this can be set up to make incremental backups, so that it will just add new tracks to the existing DVD without wiping the hole disk and burning everything again. :cool:

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.