Trying to install Safari 4

Reaction score
I made a copy of the old Safari before I installed the new Safari 4, but now it's not allowing me to install it at all, and giving me a red circle over all the hardrive something definitely went wrong when I tried to keep the old version by renaming it, it didn't like that....What can I do from here..?

TIA

Safari wont let me install.png

Reaction score
Why would you want the old version?
I haven't looked into the safari installer but since I recall having to restart it probably goes deeper than just Safari.app (what I'm guessing you copied). If you really want to keep it use pacifist (or the plugin for Quick Look) to view the installer contents, then locate those folders before installing and copy them (preferably using some method to maintain permissions)

Reaction score
Wow, I just looked at your pic, I don't know if its because of your mod or something else, but I don't remember those warning symbols. If when you click a HD that doesn't have mac it says it cant install on a hdd without mac (or something equivalent) then your fine. Could you tell us what exactley does it say when you click a partition (the one you want to install to)?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27 iMac+Thunderbolt, iMac 21,
Where did u get the new Safari 4 from and are you taking into account the differences between PPC and Intel OS

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
And if you use the above link MAKE SURE you download the Tiger version (OSX.4).

OP
Z
Reaction score
the only reason why I wanted the old version was to make sure it can take my theme from shapeshifter, cause I love customizing my mac this way. I remember when I installed iTunes it messed up something and my themes didn't take on iTunes. I had to download something from shapeshifter to fix it, and I just didn't wanna go through that again, so I figures if I save the old Safari and it does not take, I'll just use the old version, but I did download the right one. I made sure of that. I renamed the old Safari, and I think that is were my problem started. So I have no idea how to fix that.

OP
Z
Reaction score
I figured out that I had to do a security update, and it worked, and just as I suspected my theme does not take with the new Safari. Lucky I renamed the old one before installing the new Safari, and now I have both. I'll just have to wait for an update from shapeshifter for safari 4....Thanks for all my mac-head peeps for your assistance.

OP
Z
Reaction score
Why would you want the old version?
I haven't looked into the safari installer but since I recall having to restart it probably goes deeper than just Safari.app (what I'm guessing you copied). If you really want to keep it use pacifist (or the plugin for Quick Look) to view the installer contents, then locate those folders before installing and copy them (preferably using some method to maintain permissions)

the only reason why I wanted the old version was to make sure it can take my theme from shapeshifter, cause I love customizing my mac this way. I remember when I installed iTunes it messed up something and my themes didn't take on iTunes. I had to download something from shapeshifter to fix it, and I just didn't wanna go through that again, so I figures if I save the old Safari and it does not take, I'll just use the old version, but I did download the right one. I made sure of that. I renamed the old Safari, and I think that is were my problem started. So I have no idea how to fix that.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.