Self Install a Ram Upgrade

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.67 Ghz 17" PB w/1 GB Ram; 400 MHz PM G4, 366Mhz iBook Firewire, Nano 4GB Black
Ok, this isn't a question, but a "how to". I get lots of questions from people on how to upgrade the Ram in their laptops, and its really a simple thing. This is really just a basic "how to" to install Ram in ANY laptop. Most of you probably know this, but if you ever get asked...

1. Make sure your Ram is compatible, and that you are not going to go over the maximum amount of Ram that your computer can take.

(do not remove the ram from its protective sleeve untill step four calls for the ram!)

Make sure that you always keep yourself grounded ( you can do this by constantly touching metal, but you dont need to do that more than once ever 15 sec.)

2. View the notebook upside down, Different laptops have different places were the Ram goes (obviously), some places that it may be are anywhere on the bottom, and no where else. make sure to check underneath the battery if it is not immediatly visible. Check the manual if not visible, it knows all!

3.Take out the battery (I may get crucified for this, but its not always necessary on a laptop, depending on the model itself, if your well grounded you can get away with leaving it in if it's technically feasible.)

4. Remove the plate covering the RAM slots, MAKE SURE TO GROUND YOURSELF right before touching the ram to remove it from its sleeve, and insert it (paying attention to the catches in the RAM line up with the ones in the slot) into the designated slot.

5. Close everything up (carefully) and nothing should be a forced shut... it should all fit in place...

6. Power up your new computer and enjoy

Thanks, Updated.

U

untoastytoast

Purchasing an antistatic rubber band at a computer store would have the same effect as the metal touching except without all the metal touching right?

OP
rs2sensen
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.67 Ghz 17" PB w/1 GB Ram; 400 MHz PM G4, 366Mhz iBook Firewire, Nano 4GB Black
not sure

I have no idea, but its a good idea. make sure you do something though, because you run the risk of potentially damaging your ram chip, or more importantly you.

I'd guess that would work, as long as its really rubber. Thats the question, these days, how do you know what is what? A lot of stuff that seems like rubber is really plastic with a "rubberizing" agent mixed with it to make it like rubber.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.