iTunes library is damaged

Reaction score
Hello everyone,
Yesterday I had a major problem with iTunes. Okay, so I use Mac 10.3. I realize it's a bit outdated, but money doesn't grow on trees. Anyway, I was sitting here listening to music and browsing the internet when suddenly my computer does what it loves to do - FREEZE. iTunes stopped, and I couldn't do anything. Now, what I always do, that solves the problem, is I shut the computer off and then turn it back on.
So I did that, and when I tried to re-launch iTunes, instead of the regular loading message it said something like "recovering iTunes library.xml" or something along those lines. I figured maybe this was some sort of update or something it was automatically generating. But, when I stopped it, only about a quarter of my music was in the library and all my playlists were long gone. All of my music files were intact, but the playlists were totally erased. So I went to the iTunes folder, and I now have one file that says "iTunes Library", and two beside it - "iTunes Library (Damaged)", and "iTunes Library (Damaged) 1". All my playlists are long gone, and LUCKILY I did save all of them to my desktop a couple of weeks ago. But unfortunately a couple of those folders are mysteriously empty now. I'm really distraught, because I did nothing out of the ordinary. I now have lost LOTS of my music, and would love it if someone could please tell me if there is some possible way I could restore my iTunes library exactly the way it was before, because I'm very unhappy and sad about this. I'm good with my computer; I back it up regularly. But this was completely unexpected. Please help! I would very much appreciate it.

OP
S
Reaction score
Oh, and..

I forgot to mention, the "iTunes Library (Damaged) 1" seems to be the authentic library file I was just using. If I could somehow repair it, it should be the full library. I wonder if there's some way I could get it to restart that process it was going through of reconstructing the library?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.