Storage/back sugestion

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 15" 2.4 Ghz 250GB 4GB RAM
Storage/backup sugestion

Does anyone have any of the My Book storage/NAS solutions?

Was thinking of buying a Drobo.

Any thoughts on this?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
My only real question is what type of interface do these drives have? If they are USB 2 then you are wasting your time if you want to do any serious editing. You need to go with either FireWire 400, FireWire 800 or eSATA to get the best value out of large drive sizes.

Maybe building your own is a better way to go. I just bought a 1Tb Samsung drive for $79 and a Firewire 400 case for $30. Not too shabby.

OP
R
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 15" 2.4 Ghz 250GB 4GB RAM
Well here is the setup i was thinking of.

1, WD 2TB My Book Studio Edition II connected via firewire 800 to my MBP for external storage of music, video (iTunes) and photos for editing.

2, WD 2TB My Book World Edition II as a NAS (sharing over network to PC/Xbox/PS3) for storing iTunes and edited photos plus other files.

I thought that as both these are RAID systems I have a good amount of redundant backup and the total price of both systems is approx £100/$160 less than a Drobo.

Any thoughts opinions appreciated.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.