Boot Camp Trouble

Reaction score
So today I decided I wanted to dual boot Windows because I am... well bored. I opened up the boot camp assistant and started to partition my HD. Half way through I get this message "The disk cannot be partitioned because some files can't be moved". What does this mean and how can I fix it? I am sorry if this is in the wrong section guys, and thank you for anyone who helps.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
-->
Not sure on the problem, but I would try to boot from your OS DVD and verufy the disk within disk utility and see if there are issues with the drive. Also, how much free space do you have on the drive?

OP
D
Reaction score
Not sure on the problem, but I would try to boot from your OS DVD and verufy the disk within disk utility and see if there are issues with the drive. Also, how much free space do you have on the drive?

Ok I will try that... There is about 80gb of free space on my drive.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
So today I decided I wanted to dual boot Windows because I am... well bored. I opened up the boot camp assistant and started to partition my HD. Half way through I get this message "The disk cannot be partitioned because some files can't be moved". What does this mean and how can I fix it? I am sorry if this is in the wrong section guys, and thank you for anyone who helps.

It means there isn't enough free contiguous space on the drive for the Boot Camp assistant to create the partition to install Windows on. More than likely there are files that are scattered about on the drive or even fragments. You'll need a program like "iDefrag" in order to rectify the problem.

Regards.

OP
D
Reaction score
It means there isn't enough free contiguous space on the drive for the Boot Camp assistant to create the partition to install Windows on. More than likely there are files that are scattered about on the drive or even fragments. You'll need a program like "iDefrag" in order to rectify the problem.

Regards.

Thank you sir.

Reaction score
Hey guys tried the defrag didnt work still the same message, wat else could i do

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.