External harddrive

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro (early 2011) 2,2 i7, 4 GB RAM, 750 GB HDD, 1 GB ATI 6750M, High-Res AntiGlare Screen
Hi all!

Okay, after like... MONTHS! Of reading reviews, I FIANLLY ordered an external harddrive today... I ended up with the Western Digital My Passport Studio. 500 GB version...

Tho... Im STILL not sure if I should have went with the Seagate Freeagent Go Mac 500 GB...

Tell me your experiences, anything...

Did I pick the right drive? :)

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Both drives are an excellent choice. You can't go wrong with either.

Regards.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
I've used both, along with Hitachi, Samsung (my current drive upgrades are all Samsung 1Tb, moving data to one as I type this), Maxtor, IBM, Quantum and others. frankly, they all seem to work pretty darn good and drive reliability is increasing as new generations of drives come out. People rag on brands based on personal experience and I've always been a fan of Maxtor drives myself, despite the fact they seem to be universally despised.

In the end, always take proper precautions with your data as any drive can die at any moment.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2018 15" MBP, 2019 11" iPad Pro, iPhone 11 Pro
I have the same WD 500 gb. I've only had it for a week and half and I've done 2 backups so far with my Win PC and my MBP. It's SUPER quiet and easy as pie to format and backup with the Mac using Time Machine. So far, so good but it's too early to say how reliable it is over the years.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.