Switching from Palm Zire 72

Reaction score
Ok, I have an ancient Palm Zire 72 and switching to the iPhone 3GS. I have read the directions for syncing with Outlook, etc to transfer my contacts, calendar, etc. but 1) I use Palm Desktop not Outlook 2) when I go to expert my Palm file I only have a .dba option. Is there a way to get my Palm info onto my Macbook, then sync ical or something with the iPhone??

Thanks,
Kim

Reaction score
I, too, switched from a Palm Zire, partly because I couldn't add anything new because the Palm Installer wouldn't work with Vista. I was not able to export any Palm data to my iTouch. I use Google Calendar to sync to the iTouch because the iTouch calendar doesn't support recurrent events.

It would be interesting to know if I missed out on being able to export data, but I chalked it up as a learning experience in using the iTouch keyboard.

Reaction score
I switched from a Palm Zire a few years back and recently got an iPod Touch 2nd gen. Until then, I relied solely on my Macintosh's iCal and Address Book apps for my info. I just synced all my info into my new iTouch and it worked flawlessly.

First ... you can export both your Contact and Calendar info from Palm Desktop. Choose "vCal" as the export format when exporting your Calendar info and "vCard" as the format when exporting your Contacts. Make sure you select the proper files to export with the correct export format.

iCal will import the vCal file and Address Book will import your vCard file. Make sure to go into both apps and re-format your info as it will often come into the new apps in a funky format with info in the wrong fields.

Once that's done, you can sync your iPhone or iTouch with all apps ... iCalendar, Address Book, Mail and Safari bookmarks. If you are not seeing the vCal or vCard export formats, then I would suggest you call Apple as it should be there ... unless perhaps your Palm Desktop software is very old.

OP
D
Reaction score
That is what is weird about my Palm Desktop software. I cannot expert a vCal file... only .dba ... I am using Palm Desktop v.4.1.4. I know this is probably VERY OLD :)

Kim

OP
D
Reaction score
Wait... I can export contacts as a vCal but when I try to export the calendar as a vCal, it is greyed out....

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.