Its slowing down

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPhone 3G,MBP 13 inch 2.26
I installed Microsoft office and now I find that the computer is slowing down. My memory use is at around 30 % now and before the install it was at 20 ish%. Now when I use Safari I find that it takes longer to open more tabs and sometimes takes longer to process web pages. Am I doing something wrong? Its not a huge deal but I just want to know. I think I may just upgrade to 4 gig now..lol Thanks MAC Gods.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP Core Duo 2.0GHz 1.5GB, 20" iMac C2D 2.4GHz 4GB, PowerPC G4 500MHz 512MB
Do the usual stuff... check/repair permissions, check the disk, etc.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13 Inch Apple MacBook Pro; 2.40 GHZ, 4GB Ram, 250GB HDD
yeah also cuz most mac stuff uses ram, not graphic card or anythin, maybe cuz theres a lot of stuff downloaded but dont delete it. just upgrade to 4gig

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
INow when I use Safari I find that it takes longer to open more tabs and sometimes takes longer to process web pages.

Are you sure it's not your internet connection? Internet throughput speeds can vary greatly.

Since you just installed Office, and then noticed a slowdown...doesn't necessarily mean the two are connected. You just may be paying more attention to things you previously didn't pay any attention to.

How full is your hard drive? Some folks say that after it gets 50% full, disk related tasks can start to slow down

And as has already been suggested...repair permissions, also restart your computer.

- Nick

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
pigoo3 might be on to something - how much free space do you have left and how big is your HD?

Open up /Application/Utilities/Activity Monitor.app and take a look at what is taking up a lot of your memory. Do you see anything unusual in there?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
OP
C
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPhone 3G,MBP 13 inch 2.26
Are you sure it's not your internet connection? Internet throughput speeds can vary greatly.

Since you just installed Office, and then noticed a slowdown...doesn't necessarily mean the two are connected. You just may be paying more attention to things you previously didn't pay any attention to.

How full is your hard drive? Some folks say that after it gets 50% full, disk related tasks can start to slow down

And as has already been suggested...repair permissions, also restart your computer.

- Nick

Im using 25% of my HD right now. You guys could be right about the internet speed as well.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Adding RAM won't speed anything up and it isn't a "magic" answer to your problem.

Agreed 1000%!

Ram, ram, ram...folks just don't understand what ram can & cannot do when it comes to performance!

People back in the 1980's didn't understand ram...and in 2009 they still don't!

I guess that goes for the metric system as well (at least in the United States)!

Just venting a bit "corradoking"...not picking on you!:)

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.