New iPhone 3GS syncing with MBP after PC

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I just got myself a 3GS iPhone and so far, so good!

The first thing I did was sync the phone with my PC to get all my contacts, calendar info and notes off Outlook and onto my new phone. I did not copy any music from the PC's iTunes onto the phone at that time.

Next I connected my iPhone to my Macbook Pro to get music off my MBP's iTunes. I managed to sync all the music as well, but I first unchecked the Contacts, Calendar and Notes tabs from syncing, because I was afraid that if those were checked I would end-up losing all of the above from the phone.

My question is: I want to now use my MBP exclusively with this iPhone. How do I sync my iTunes with the phone so that all my contact info, calendar info and notes are on both the phone and the MBP? In other words I want to back-up from the phone to iTunes this one time and then keep both devices synced thereafter.

Thanks for reading this long post!

P.S. I just checked in iTunes on the MBP, under Preferences > Devices > Device Backups > it shows that my iPhone has been backed-up. Does that mean that all my contacts, appointments and notes are now on the MBP, so that I can enable the syncing of all these items without worrying about deleting the phone by mistake? Thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
You can't. When you check the contacts/calendar option in iTunes it will erase all the data on the phone and replace it with that from the MBP. You need to find a way to get your contacts/calender info onto the MBP first, without the phone.

OP
K
Reaction score
Really? So if you upgrade your PC/Mac and you've got an iPhone that's been syncing with your old computer you're basically screwed? That's crazy!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Not really. You just need to move the appropriate info to the Mac from the PC.

The easy way around this is to use Apples MobileMe service, sync the PC, Mac and the iPhone via Mobile me, then just ditch the PC from the equation. That way everything already matches and all your syncing is done over the air for contacts and calenders so you're not tied to the computer the phone is tied to. I do this with my iPhone, my G5 at home and iBook for use on the road. My info always matches on all 3 but the phone is tied to the G5 only. My calenders and contacts can b updated anywhere but reflected everywhere and are available on-line on the MM web-site for me to view from any internet connected computer..

OP
K
Reaction score
Right. So how exactly would one get the info onto MobileMe from Outlook? Does it automatically import the info from Outlook to MM?

What if I didn't want to use MobileMe? What would be the most painless way to transfer a few hundred contacts, maybe 400 notes and several dozen appointments from Outlook on the PC?

Thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
There is a MM client for the PC that you can download from Apple, it will allow you to sync your contacts from Outlook to the MM system and to your Mac (and your iPhone).

Other than that, I have no idea. Never done what you are doing.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" MBP, 3GS & iPhone4 Factory Unlocked.
go to your pc, save your contacts as a vcard file or a excel file, then take that file and put it in your mbp, open entourage or whatever you are using to manage your contacts, transfer your contacts from that excel or vcard file.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
go to your pc, save your contacts as a vcard file or a excel file, then take that file and put it in your mbp, open entourage or whatever you are using to manage your contacts, transfer your contacts from that excel or vcard file.

That might work with Entourage but I don't think it will work with Apple Mail. If it does though, let me know.

Reaction score
how can i transfer all my albums (audios) in my macbook to my iphone 3GS?

I have the latest version of itunes and when I sync it it just stop and then nothing happens...the reasons why i bought an iphone 32GB so i can transfel all my albums from my macbook onto my iphone...

can someone help? i followed that how to in ipod from iphone sites

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.