PowerBook G4 wont boot, no signs of life.

Reaction score
Hi,

I'm repairing a PB G4 15" AL. A friend dropped it on power adapter when he tripped over it. It would work(boot up) after that if he wiggled the power adapter in the slot. Then after a few months it stopped working, he bought a new power adapter and it worked again, then suddenly stopped working. When the power adapter is plugged in, it only glows green and will not power on. I have replaced the DC-IN card and still the same thing. I guess it's possible that the new card is also dead, but assuming it is not, what else should I try? I don't have a diff charger or battery to test, but those are next on my list.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thank you,
Stephen.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.
Have you replaced the actual DC IN socket? I have known the tips of the power cables to snap off inside. I found 3 in a socket once!
Other than that, then, yes, you need to find a way of testing it with a different battery first.

OP
S
Reaction score
Have you replaced the actual DC IN socket? I have known the tips of the power cables to snap off inside. I found 3 in a socket once!
Other than that, then, yes, you need to find a way of testing it with a different battery first.

Yes, I have replaced the whole DC-IN Board. I do believe there was a broken tip in the old one.

Thanks,
Steve

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.
Ok. Sorry I can't suggest an alternative. Hopefully you can find a battery to use.
The thing is it's getting power clearly, so it is worrying that it won't boot at all. I am assuming it does nothing?

OP
S
Reaction score
Ok. Sorry I can't suggest an alternative. Hopefully you can find a battery to use.
The thing is it's getting power clearly, so it is worrying that it won't boot at all. I am assuming it does nothing?

The only thing that happens, is that the light on the charger turns green when plugged in. I cannot get it to do anything else.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Green would mean that the battery is fully charged. Assuming it is (all lights on the battery on) then it would seem that the issue lies with power actually getting to the main board itself. If the battery is not charging this would also point to the same thing I think.
From here I would be a bit lost, so maybe someone else can chip in.

OP
S
Reaction score
Green would mean that the battery is fully charged. Assuming it is (all lights on the battery on) then it would seem that the issue lies with power actually getting to the main board itself. If the battery is not charging this would also point to the same thing I think.
From here I would be a bit lost, so maybe someone else can chip in.

The battery is dead and from what I understand the original battery from factory.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hmm, maybe it's just completely exhausted then, and just will not charge full stop. A new battery may well solve this. You need to have a battery that will take some power for the laptop to work at all.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.