How to buy my MBP in the USA in less than 3 hours ?

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

Let's introduce myself: my name is Charles, I'm a 17 years old student and I come from Belgium. I'm thinking about buying a MBP 13.3inch but in Europe Macs are far more expensive than in America. Luckily I'm going to Mexico at Christmas for some reasons and I'm transitting by NewYork. I have about 3hours in JFK before my flight to Mexico. I know it's not enough to go out and buy my Mac so I thought to find another way to get it. I had a pretty crazy idea. I could order my MBP on apple.com and ask to be delivered IN the airport, maybe in a post office where I could just pick it up. Does anyone know if it is possible ? Does anyone have another idea ?

I dont know if my thread is in the right part of the forum. I apologize if not, I'm not used to forums.

Thank you.

Charles

Reaction score
Hey. Seems a bit risky. Takes a while to ship. Sure you have enough time? You could get it shipped to Mexico (I think). Good luck :)

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Just buy your Mac at the JFK duty free shop. But check first to see what they have in stock. Also, depending on where you're going in Mexico, you can always purchase it there.

Regards.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Also, depending on where you're going in Mexico, you can always purchase it there.
I'm not sure if you were referring to the Apple Store but if so, there aren't any in Mexico (see full list of Apple Stores here). If you buy it somewhere else, make sure to buy it from a reputable place (just like you should no matter where in the world you are).

I was going to suggest that if you are staying with a friend, you could order it from Apple's Mexican online store and ship it there but I foresee two (potential) problems with this:
1. I don't know if you can order non-Spanish gear from the Mexican online store.
2. It does appear to me to be more expensive than you would get in the US. For instance, the top of the line MBP (17") is 39,999 Pesos which is ~ $3,380 CDN. The 17" MBP through the Canadian store is $2,899. Therefore, it is approximately $480 more than you would get here. For you, 2,299 Euros is ~42,190 Pesos so you would be able to save 2191 Pesos or ~120 Euros. So, you would be paying more than you would get in Canada/US but you would be saving money.

If you decide to buy your Mac in Mexico, consider all the factors and, for your sake, check how much you will save on the Mac you want. My 17" example should be changed to include what you want.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I'm not sure if you were referring to the Apple Store but if so, there aren't any in Mexico (see full list of Apple Stores here). If you buy it somewhere else, make sure to buy it from a reputable place (just like you should no matter where in the world you are).

He can purchase it from an authorized Apple reseller in Mexico and should be able to get it duty free. But his best bet is the duty free shop at JFK which in the past has stocked Mac computers in addition to Dell, Sony, and others. The problem would be if it was in stock when he came through. The duty free shop is in the international hold terminal and would be a quick walk there and back to his gate.

However, when he gets back to Belgium he may be liable for local taxes and VAT. :(

Regards.

OP
Ch.S
Reaction score
Thanks a lot for your answers! :)

chscag: It would be the best solution, the journey between my terminal (8) and the terminal 1 lasts at worst 8min ("During peak hours, a trip between all terminals takes about eight minutes, so be certain you have sufficient time before your flight." from The Port Authority of New York and New Jersey - Kennedy Airport) and I just want the most classic and cheapest MBP, guess they'll have it. How can I check their stock ? I dont find any website...

vansmith: Because of the 2 problems you spoke about, it's the last possibility I could consider (I save about 300€ in the USA and only 120€ in Mexico for the 13.3" one :S). But if I do, do you know what does "Keyboard/User's Guide, -LAE " mean ? I saw it on the mexican online store. Maybe is it the US qwerty keyboard ?

And does none know about delivering in the airport ? I could get a french keyboard from the american apple online store and that would be really perfect.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 17" Hi-Def/2GB RAM/250GB HD // iPhone 3Gs 16GB // iPod Classic 80GB
It's potentially doable. It might screw things up for you, though, so I wouldn't.

On the other hand, you could take the AirTrain from JFK to the
NY Subway, take the A train to 14th Street, walk one block west to the Apple Street on 14th Street, get it (possibly pre-order it and pick it up at the store?), then reverse these directions... but it might NOT get you back in time to get through the gate and back on your plane. I wouldn't risk it.

Delivering to the airport seems... iffy. You may want to call your airline and find out about picking up parcels at their customer service desk at JFK, but my instinct says they'll say no.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
There's an Apple store even closer than downtown NYC. The closest store to JFK would be the one at the Roosevelt Shopping Center in Garden City, Long Island. (about 30 minutes, considering traffic) The problem, however, is getting there. About the only way you can get there from JFK is by Limo or Taxi. Both are going to be expensive.

I would try the duty free shop first. I don't know of a way to check their stock except maybe to give them a call and ask. As far as I can tell, there are four stores located in JFK which are duty free. Refer to the following Link for telephone numbers. If you know someone in the states that can call for you, that will save long distance oversea charges.

Good luck.

Regards.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
I had a pretty crazy idea. I could order my MBP on apple.com and ask to be delivered IN the airport, maybe in a post office where I could just pick it up. Does anyone know if it is possible ?
Fat chance.
Does anyone have another idea ?
By the time you try to figure out a way to cheat the system, you'll end up spending as much or more of the money you perceive to be saving.
Just buy it here:

Bienvenue dans l'Apple Store - Apple Store (Belgique)

Reaction score
Or you could buy it duty free in your own airport on the way out, if they stock them.

Have seen MacBooks and MBPs V.A.T. free in Dixon's in Manchester airport in departures (Although have also noticed that sometimes they are the old model so watch out for this).

This way you don't have to worry about getting collared for duty on your way back!

OP
Ch.S
Reaction score
Fat chance.
By the time you try to figure out a way to cheat the system, you'll end up spending as much or more of the money you perceive to be saving.
Just buy it here:

Bienvenue dans l'Apple Store - Apple Store (Belgique)

I understand your point of view, you may think I just try to be as mean as I can, even if I can afford this Mac. But, as I said in the beginning of this thread, I'm a studend. It involves it dont have much money. I'm currently working in a supermarkt as a summer job and I earn 8.5€/hour. The advantage of buying this Mac in the USA equals about 35 hours of work or one week working every day 7 hours a day. So I have some time to cheat the system ;) And as I have the possibility of buying it in the USA, I dont know why I could just ask for some information and maybe... try. Because if I cant buy it in the USA, I wont be able to afford it in Belgium ;) So I hope your understand my point of view too, I just tried to explain you my reasons...

I think I wont try to reach a shop out of the airport, my flight is the most important. So I'll call the duty free shops and I'll see. Thanks everyone! :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.