Damage on brand new MBP (out of the box)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 15" 2.53GHz 250GB HDD 4GB RAM
Hello everyone.

For years I have been thinking about getting a Mac, and when they made the unibody model I fell completely in love and have been talking about it so much that my friends told me to shut up or buy one. So finally I saved the money and bought my first Mac last week. But when I got home and opened the box I immediately spotted a small damage on the edge on the metal frame next to the power button. The damage is not very big, but I quickly found myself staring at it constantly with a feeling of disappointment. My new MBP was beautiful and perfectly crafted - except for the small jag - sigh. So after viewing the production video of the precision laser cutting of the unibody I returned it to the store. One of the employees I talked with told me that he had never seen something like that before, so I fear that they suspect that I made the damage myself. And unfortunately they would not swap it right away, so the store are now waiting for Apple to decide what to do about it. Hopefully they decide to exchange it.

So what do you think guys - am I just too sensitive or would you have done the same and returned it? I took some photos (attached) so you can judge for yourself.

~Martin~

IMG_0115(jpg).JPG

IMG_0121(jpg).JPG

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mid 12 MBP 8gb ram, Crucial M4 SSD 512gb, Sandy Bridge i7
I would have returned it as well. Best wishes.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
It's a lot of money, it should be perfect. It is the definition of a manufacturer's defect and in my opinion, should have been replaced on the spot.

Good luck. Don't settle.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPhone 3G,MBP 13 inch 2.26
Don't beat your self up for being critical of a product. Apple prides them selves on customer service and the overall design of their product. Im sure they are going to do the right thing and exchange it. I know when I bought my MBP I found myself looking over every bit of the computer before I turned it on. I did this to make sure it was 100% visually. Its not like the MBP is a 400 dollar Dell (puke)lol. So just hang in there, and if they dont do the right thing I would be ready to fire off an email that will get you what you want.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13 Inch Apple MacBook Pro; 2.40 GHZ, 4GB Ram, 250GB HDD
I would have returned it as well, especially because it was like that right out of the box-I hope they replace it with a new one.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 17" 2.8 500gb 4gb Imac 21.5" 3.06 500gb 4gb
I would have returned as well.

Steve

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
imac 21in 2.5 GHz Core i5-ipad Air-iphone 32gb
Damaged MBP.

Don't wait for apple to decide,say either you want the laptop changed or a refund.Be strong!

Reaction score
As said above, Apple manufactures put a premium on the quality and functionality of their products, which many of us have commonly come to understand as the benchmark standard in today's industry.
By all means, Apple will accept the returned item, provided that it is within the 14-day return policy. The store representative with whom you spoke with must be absorbed with ambivalence leading to his/her myopic decision.
It is an unfortunate issue, however, you must be persistent, yet respectful. In my humble opinion, Apple must abide by their principles.

Good Luck!
Keep us posted please, I'm sure all of us would like to know what happens.

Regards,
Cam

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
I wouldn't have even noticed it.
So long as it doesn't affect the functionality of the computer (and it most certainly won't) then I would be inclined to forget it.

The casings are very malleable and in time, no matter how careful you are, you would have created a similar microscopic ding yourself.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
The casings are very malleable and in time, no matter how careful you are, you would have created a similar microscopic ding yourself.

I was sort of thinking the same thing...but then again, you would like it to be perfect out of the box after spending the big bucks!

Those aluminum cases are so easily scratched, dented, and dinged...but I guess if it happens you want it to be your fault.

Of course when I got my MBP...the first thing I did (day 2 of ownership) was purchase a hard shell for it.

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
the regular white macbook from '09
I would have gone back to the store and made a big deal out of it. Create a scene, scare some customers away. And if they tell you to calm down, start stating their defect policy, etc etc, and make sure they know that 1. you're DANCING ON A CLOUD OF FLUFFY WHITE MARSHMALLOW, and 2. that you want a refund if not a new computer. You just paid a grand and a half for a top of the line computer, it sure as SWEET N SUGARY SHOO-FLY PIE better be perfect!

On a side note, if it was 3 months down the line and you did that yourself, surely this would just be overlooked and forgotten, just like the case for new shoes. But no, this is a new mac, so make it right :)

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks for all your comments - some of them actually made laugh. Well - I thought that you might wanted to hear the end of the story. After reading some of your feedback I decided not to wait anymore and went back to the store. After all - I just paid a lot of money for that notebook and I was really impatient to start using it. My approach was to be polite, calm and smiling when I confronted the assistant. I'm not sure that making a scene, jumping around, spitting and screaming would have done any good. So - I told him that I was surprised that they didn't replace the MBP on the spot in the first place. And - if I could get my money back so I could move on, because it looked like my case were going drag out. After checking he told me that my case was closed and the MBP I returned have been marked DOA. He went out and came back with a new one. So I'm a happy customer and satisfied with their service after all - even though I had to put a little pressure on them.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mid 12 MBP 8gb ram, Crucial M4 SSD 512gb, Sandy Bridge i7
Thanks for all your comments - some of them actually made laugh. Well - I thought that you might wanted to hear the end of the story. After reading some of your feedback I decided not to wait anymore and went back to the store. After all - I just paid a lot of money for that notebook and I was really impatient to start using it. My approach was to be polite, calm and smiling when I confronted the assistant. I'm not sure that making a scene, jumping around, spitting and screaming would have done any good. So - I told him that I was surprised that they didn't replace the MBP on the spot in the first place. And - if I could get my money back so I could move on, because it looked like my case were going drag out. After checking he told me that my case was closed and the MBP I returned have been marked DOA. He went out and came back with a new one. So I'm a happy customer and satisfied with their service after all - even though I had to put a little pressure on them.

Just great! Congrats and enjoy your forever UNdented Mac.

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Just great! Congrats and enjoy your forever UNdented Mac.

Thx - I already love it! :)

And I forgot to say that I appreciate this forum. People seems friendly in here and I'm sure it will not be the last time I write on these walls. Hopefully I can contribute with something as well some say - when I get a little more experience as a Mac user... :Smirk:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 13 inch, 4GB RAM, 250GB HD, 2.53GHz, OSX 10.6.1
Well my spacebar broke within a couple of weeks of use, the guy behind the Genius Bar too was thinking I did it myself, but in all they replace the whole casing for free so they have very decent support.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.