Move ALL data to different partition?

Reaction score
Is it possible to move everything (not only the Users folder) except the actual mac install (private, var, System, mach_kernel etc) to a different partition? So that if, lets say I had to re-install, I could do so without erasing everything (you can't replace a newer version of mac)? I have tried a symbolic link on the applications folder, but it doesn't work right.
Any help greatly appreciated...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Performa 6116 2GBSCSI 8MB OS 7.5.3
Do you use backup software? This would be a better way to solve your problem.
Are you a Windows switcher? Sounds like it.

Get a large external HD and turn on Time Machine.

OP
A
Reaction score
Sorry I didn't respond before, I was in school ):
Nop. Hardcore mac user.
Detailed situation:
Once again I broke my OS X install (oops!) so I got tired of copying, reinstalling etc and decided this would be a better solution (so I could do a clean install nice and fast). Anyways, I had all my stuff on a broken install so I repartitioned the drive and installed to a new partition. Now I want to get it to use the apps, users and library folder on the other partition. The users folder was a pice of cake, I haven't tried the library one yet because I am stuck at apps!. I have tried symbolic links (as I said), changing permissions, disabling permissions on the volume... With this last aproach I managed to launch moast applications, but some (expl: Safari) just don't want to. I think that there probably looking for files and folders ( preferences, app support etc) on the same volume they are launched. In that case, would creating symb links to those folders on the other partition do the trick?

OP
A
Reaction score
Some response plesase? I'm really desperete to get this fixed since my mom is bugging me :)Shouting: ) to get it fixed so I can get of her laptop.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook 2.0ghz coeduo 1GB RAM 80 GB HD SuperDrive
Next time you can just do an archive and install.

OP
A
Reaction score
Not if I have updated the software (I think). Can someone clarify this for me? If I have a lets say... 10.5.1 install disc and 10.5.8 installed I can't do an archive and install, right?

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Yes, you can do an Archive & Install if that is a proper disk, e.g. the retail disk or the disk that shipped with your computer.

There's no reason to be re-installing OS X that often unless you're doing things you shouldn't be to break it.
A much better route would be to spend what today really is an insignificant amount for an external drive and keep a bootable backup with CCC or SuperDuper!. With either one of them, in an hour or less, you can have the internal drive restored.

OP
A
Reaction score
I do have a external bootable back up. I know: It's me who always breaks the install. It is a proper disk. Anyways, that doesn't answer my question: Is it possible to save as much as possible on a different partition?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 15", 2.6, i7, 8G Ram, OS X 10.10, iPhone 6 Plus
I have read several threads that state it is a good idea to do a clean install of the OS when you receive a new MBP. Wouldn't the load from the factory be sufficient?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
I have read several threads that state it is a good idea to do a clean install of the OS when you receive a new MBP. Wouldn't the load from the factory be sufficient?
This step is wholly unnecessary in my opinion.

The machine is fine right out of the box.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.