MacBook 13" Mini DVI to HDMI Question

Reaction score
I just purchased a MacBook 13 with the Core 2 Duo T7200 2.0 mhz. processor (2007). The system has 120G hard drive and 1g of RAM. I have made it a dual boot with Windows XP. I have installed DVIX player in the Windows section that allows me to play encoded DVIX moves in HD. I want to output the video signal to my HD plasma using the Mini 32 pin DVI socket on the side of the MacBook to HDMI. On Ebay I see that there is a number of Mini DVI to HDMI cables for sale. Some are Mini DVI to HDMI female of which I would also need a HDMI male to male cable or I have found a Mini DVI to male HDMI cable.

Question: Has anyone outputted a signal from their Mini DVI to a HDTV and how does the image look? I have burned the DVIX encoded image to DVD and the quality is outstanding.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.2Ghz i7 Late 2011 MBP: 16GB Ram 500GB Seagate XT HD
I have my macbook hooked up to my Samsung 42" Plasma. I bought the Dynex mini dvi to dvi cable(from futureshop, bestbuy might have their version also and it's 1/2 the price of the apple version). I purchased a dvi to hdmi adapter from walmart and then used a simple hdmi cable that I previously owned. For audio I used a headphone to RCA cable (also have and optical cable for my surround sound also). Sometimes you only have one input for using your macbook on your tv. There is only one hdmi what will use the RCA audio inputs, the other hdmi inputs will only take the audio through the hdmi. Also my plasma has a "just scan" feature that will fit the macbook screen to the plasma, some people complain that the menu bar is cut off when displaying on their HDTV.

OP
D
Reaction score
I am thinking of buying this cable. It's a direct link from the MacBook to the plasma then take a mini 1/8" plug to RCA to get the sound... Why they are not being made in the USA is beyond me...

SDC11098.jpg

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
white MacBook - 2.16GHz, 2GB RAM, 500GB HD iPhone Specs: white 3GS - 32GB
I have my macbook hooked up to my Samsung 42" Plasma. I bought the Dynex mini dvi to dvi cable(from futureshop, bestbuy might have their version also and it's 1/2 the price of the apple version). I purchased a dvi to hdmi adapter from walmart and then used a simple hdmi cable that I previously owned. For audio I used a headphone to RCA cable (also have and optical cable for my surround sound also). Sometimes you only have one input for using your macbook on your tv. There is only one hdmi what will use the RCA audio inputs, the other hdmi inputs will only take the audio through the hdmi. Also my plasma has a "just scan" feature that will fit the macbook screen to the plasma, some people complain that the menu bar is cut off when displaying on their HDTV.

Do you by any chance have any pictures of your setup? I am interested in hooking up my MacBook to a big screen like yours but first wanna see what it looks like. Also, when you attach it to the TV, can you use a higher resolution than the standard 1280x800?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.2Ghz i7 Late 2011 MBP: 16GB Ram 500GB Seagate XT HD
I can go as far as 1080i (my plasma is a few years old and cannot do 720p) but I usually use 720p. You would be hard pressed to find any difference in 1080p and 720p on a 42". Now you might notice on a 50" or above. I purchased this mini dvi to dvi adapter which is 1/3 the cost of the apple one.

Future Shop: Computers: Desktop Computer Accessories: Dynex Mini DV To DVI Adapter (DX-AP150)

Then I bought this a walmart and used it to connect the hdmi cable to the dvi.

Philips - Adapter HDMI (F) - DVI (M) - SWV3459W/27 - Cables (video) - Cables and connectors - Audio products

Then used a 3.5mm to rca cable for audio (walmart). I also have a headphone to optical cable from my old sony minidisc player that I now use to hook my macbook to my surround sound. The rca cable looks like this:

CC399-05_LR.jpg

OP
D
Reaction score
WytWolf,

I just wanted to keep it simple and not have all the connections between different plugs, adapters, etc. This is why I went with Mini DVI to HDMI. I have plently of the RCA to 1/8" stero cables. I also found mini DVI to female HDMI but again another connection that would require a Male HDMI to Male HDMI cable. Can't believe nobody makes or stocks the cable I bought here in the USA...

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.