Black Display after 10.5.8 Update

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core 2 Duo
I installed the 10.5.8 update onto my Mac Mini Core 2 Duo and since then display has gone black. The mini is connected to an Apple Cinema Display M8149, via the ADC to DVI adaptor/power supply. Prior to this everything was working great and I was a very happy, recent Mac convert.

I have tried things such as resetting PRAM/SMC, hard shutdowns and re-boots after searching a few posts on forums, but no luck yet. All I have is a constant white power light on the display, even after I shut down the Mini (which appears to be working fine by the way). I have also tried unplugging all cables and waiting several minutes before trying again.

I would appreciate any assistance with this problem. Many thanks.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Does the mini work OK with a different display? (that is if you have another display to test it on)

And.. what you might try is downloading the combo 10.5.8 update to see if installing it cures the problem. Link

Regards.

OP
P
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core 2 Duo
Spare display

Hi, thanks for the reply, however I don't have another display - I am currently thinking of ways to gain access to one. I might have to take it to the Apple store in London.

OP
P
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core 2 Duo
Restored to factory settings 10.5

I borrowed a screen and restored the mac mini back to 10.5. When I plugged it back into the ACD screen I saw the grey startup screen with with the moving circle at the centre, but then it just went black again. Now if I re-boot I just get a black screen from the start. So, maybe not the upgrade after all?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.