is the optical drive easily upgradable?

M

menace3054

This 8x superdrive is painfully slow... is it easy to upgrade to say..a 16x?

thanks

OP
W

warrenbert

It's as easy to swap-out as the hard drives and memory. Make sure you don't lose the little pegs that are screwed into the bottom of the current drive.

Most drives have the same outside dimensions, but once in a great while I have heard of drives that are too long.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
Actually the drive you have is a 16x drive but apple put a limiter on it to bring it down to 8x

If you are comfortable flashing your firmware you can turn it into the 16x Dual Layer drive that it is.

8x is not bad at all....I've got the 4x in my iMac and it doesn't even seem bad

OP
M

menace3054

trpnmonkey41 said:
Actually the drive you have is a 16x drive but apple put a limiter on it to bring it down to 8x

If you are comfortable flashing your firmware you can turn it into the 16x Dual Layer drive that it is.

8x is not bad at all....I've got the 4x in my iMac and it doesn't even seem bad

why on earth would they do that... how do i go about removing the limiter?

OP
M

menace3054

im scared... has anyone done this successfully>? does it void the warranty for the entire computeR? Or just the part?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
menace3054 said:
im scared... has anyone done this successfully>? does it void the warranty for the entire computeR? Or just the part?

Whole computer

OP
M

menace3054

nevermind then, im glad i didnt do it. ill just wait until either a) apple updates the firmware or ill just buy a 16x

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
menace3054 said:
nevermind then, im glad i didnt do it. ill just wait until either a) apple updates the firmware or ill just buy a 16x

Apple will not update the firmware

Not sure what Apple's reason was for not using the full firmware but whatever it is they aren't just going to release an update to give people twice the speed of what they bought

OP
M

menace3054

alright well then onto my next question.. is it really a normal optical drive? the door seems a little different.. any ideas on a good place to buy it?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.