my macbook doesn't boot...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Powerbook 140, 16 mhz, 20mb HDD, 4 mb ram
Hello,

Today when I tried to boot my macbook, nothing happened. The backlight went on, but the computer didn't boot.

Any ideas? How would I go about fixing this..

Thanks

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Hello,

Today when I tried to boot my macbook, nothing happened. The backlight went on, but the computer didn't boot.

Any ideas? How would I go about fixing this..

Thanks

Is it still covered by warranty...if so...hello Apple Store!;D

- Nick

OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

- Nick

Unfortunately, it's too old, it's a powerbook 140

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Try booting the Powerbook with your original install media. Does it boot?

Regards.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Have you got the OS install disk? if so try booting from that and running Repair Disk. Otherwise not good news as she is a very old machine, released in 1991, and probably not worth spending too much on.

OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I don't have the original install disk, I was hoping that there was a key combination or something similar to diagnose what's wrong. ( Something like safe mode or booting into bios on a PC)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook core 2 duo, 2 GHz, 2GB, 320GB HDD

- Nick

hmmm let me see, your right your right your right,. check with apple store first or local computer shop, its pretty hard for anyone to diag over the net..

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Unfortunately, it's too old, it's a powerbook 140

What!!!...a Powerbook 140!

I hope this is a special project of sorts...and not your main laptop computer...you probably can't even surf the web with that (no modern browsers available that will run on it).

In any case...some Apple computers (even laptops)...have "booting" issues if the PRAM battery is dead.

I would say investigate if your laptop has a PRAM battery (this is NOT the battery that runs your laptop when it's not plugged in)...and if so replace it with a new one.

That is if this is a computer that you really want to get working.

- Nick

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
apple store first or local computer shop,

Don't forget...some of the employees at the Apple Store may not of even been born when the Powerbook 140 was launched...they ain't gonna know squat about a Powerbook 140!!! ;D

Go into an Apple Store & ask them about a Powerbook 140...and they're gonna look at you like you are from Mars!!!

- Nick

OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
What!!!...a Powerbook 140!

I hope this is a special project of sorts...and not your main laptop computer...you probably can't even surf the web with that (no modern browsers available that will run on it).

In any case...some Apple computers (even laptops)...have "booting" issues if the PRAM battery is dead.

I would say investigate if your laptop has a PRAM battery (this is NOT the battery that runs your laptop when it's not plugged in)...and if so replace it with a new one.

That is if this is a computer that you really want to get working.

- Nick

Yeah, I doubt it would be able to surf the net, although it does have a kermit and telnet client. I am wanting to load some of those old mac games onto it, and have it a 'gaming' machine. There really isn't any other use I could think of, unless I need a paper weight.

OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Don't forget...some of the employees at the Apple Store may not of even been born when the Powerbook 140 was launched...they ain't gonna know squat about a Powerbook 140!!! ;D

Go into an Apple Store & ask them about a Powerbook 140...and they're gonna look at you like you are from Mars!!!

- Nick

Yah, I assume that they won't be able to repair it, nor will they have parts for it.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yeah, I doubt it would be able to surf the net, although it does have a kermit and telnet client. I am wanting to load some of those old mac games onto it, and have it a 'gaming' machine. There really isn't any other use I could think of, unless I need a paper weight.

Yeah...I have some old Macs for that purpose as well. One of them needed a new PRAM battery to get it to boot. It was a desktop, but it may be the same problem with your 140.

Here's a link to some PRAM batteries. Some of them are for laptops...but I don't think any of them are for a PB 140.

As you can see, some of them are pricey...and that's why I said earlier, that this has got to be a computer you REALLY want to get running.

Since the PRAM battery could be more expensive than what the whole Powerbook 140 is worth!

You could just buy an old desktop Mac from the early 1990's, and use it to run those old games. The PRAM battery for an old desktop is just $5.00 bucks.

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook core 2 duo, 2 GHz, 2GB, 320GB HDD

- Nick
:) :) :) , i had the thread open then posted two hours later, not seeing the post on the powerbook 140 but your right on all points..

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.