Trackpad not working...

Reaction score
Just the other day my Mac died after no more than 5 minutes of use. I had unplugged it and taken it into my Mom's room, where it soon after died in no time. Could be a bad battery, so then the next day my trackpad started acting up funny. At first it was just the button, it wouldn't press all the way down but it was still recognizing my click. Then the next day anytime I even touched my trackpad it clicked. I tried to just scroll and anytime I moved over something it would click it. Even where my palms were resting on either the side of the trackpad was clicking. I got all of my stuff transfered to my external hardrive in time, I hope! After I shut off my computer and turned it back on everything was gone off my desktop, all the folders and the desktop picture had returned to the default blue background. But I believe all of my stuff is still on that computer. I even tried hooking up an external mouse to use, but that's doing the same thing as well. I left my computer on for a while, afraid to turn it off incase something horrible would go wrong. As I was laying in my bed I noticed my computer screen flashing. I realize that it was trying to boot up the screensaver but it wouldn't load, so my computer screen was flashing as it tried to load the screensaver over and over. I haven't tried anything else with my computer so far and I still have yet to call Apple. This all just happened yesterday and I'm at work now. Any suggestions or opinions? Has anyone else had this problem.

It's a 17" Macbook Pro. I bought it in June of 2007. I'm still running on the latest version of Tiger, haven't updated to Leopard yet.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Do you have Apple care? If you do, give your Apple store a call and make an appointment with the genius bar to take it on in and have them look at it. It's difficult to say what could be wrong because of the multiple symptoms.

Regards.

OP
G
Reaction score
I don't know if there's still a warranty or not. I'm going to call and check as soon as I can. Just have to find some time when I'm not busy. I hope I can figure out what's wrong with it. I've already had to wipe out my hard drive once. =(

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27 iMac+Thunderbolt, iMac 21,
Try going into Sys Pefs/Accounts and setting up a new Admin user and see if the problems show up when booted into the new user. Or if u cannot get that far see if it will boot after holding shift button after powering on.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27 iMac+Thunderbolt, iMac 21,
If that fails might even be worth trying a reset on the SMC here

OP
G
Reaction score
Ah, I figured it out, and it's something so stupid!!

Well, just the other day since the battery only lasted 5 minutes I had checked the battery and it was perfectly fine. But today when I called Apple for technical support I needed to remove my battery, the battery was swollen and that's what was putting pressure on my trackpad. I guess I didn't think to look at it since I had just done so the day before. So now I'm running off the power from the wall, new battery is on it's way! =)

My stuff is all still on my computer, but does anyone know why my bookmarks are gone? Would they still be in a folder on my computer somewhere? I had a ton saved up.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.