1st Mac Pro Advice...

Reaction score
I have recently gotten into Final Cut Studio and Motion... My older iMac 20" with 2GB of ram is not "cutting the mustard" when Motion is up (and it takes forever to render HD footage in FC).

I have a few questions for all you experts:

(1) Is it worth it to step up to 8 core or save the $800 and buy a quad core?
(2) If 8 core, is any software I use taking advantage of the 8 core?
(3) Also, which graphics card will be better for my needs (running 2 monitors on Final Cut)? I keep reading how most people opt for the single ATI 4870? Or is it better to get to buy multiple Nvidia cards? Will I see any benefit or given my use is it a waste of money?
(4) I was planning to upgrade from 6GB to 8GB RAM. Is that again overkill or is there some rational reason I need 8GB (or more)?

I am a typical guy and want the 8 core "just because" but am unsure if it is overkill or not... and after I buy another nice monitor an 8 core setup will be **** near $4,500.

Thanks for the feedback.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I have a few questions for all you experts:

(2) If 8 core, is any software I use taking advantage of the 8 core?

I am a typical guy and want the 8 core "just because" but am unsure if it is overkill or not... and after I buy another nice monitor an 8 core setup will be **** near $4,500.

Thanks for the feedback.

I would modify question #2 to read: Is any software I/you use taking advantage of 8 core's or 4 cores?

BTW...I don't think that that you're the typical guy...I would say a $4500 computer budget is on the "above average" side. ;D

- Nick

OP
W
Reaction score
Thanks for correction.

I would still like to know if the extra 4 cores are worth it? I know in a vacuum people would say, more is always better... but given my use it there really a difference that is worth the extra $800?

Also, how is a Mac Pro with dual processors set up? If you bought a 4 core system can you upgrade it to 8 core by just buying another processor and popping it in an open motherboard slot or do you need an entirely new motherboard as well?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
It sounds like with what your doing on the computer, 8-cores would probably be unnecessary.

If you were making your living on the computer, then maybe..and then that extra $800 would be an investment in your work...and then you wouldn't even be debating it...you would just do it.

The other thing is software being able to utilize all of the cores. If the software you're using doesn't take advantage of 4-cores, then 8-cores isn't going to do you any good.

As far as an upgrade from 4 to 8 cores later on. I don't think so. I haven't seen any upgrade cards for any of the Mac Pro's...and that's since 2006 when they were first launched.

Hope this helps,

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.