• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Who got a Sony PSP?

iWhat

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook, iMac G5, iPad, iPhone 4, iPod (MANY)!
I got a presale at MediaPlay two days ago. I went to MediaPlay and got my PSP at midnight. w00t! I went there, and there was barely anybody there to get one, which was surprising to me. I think even people that didn't do a presale got one. Because I don't think that MediaPlay sold all of their presales, but don't quote me on that. I don't think, I saw more than 10 people buying the PSP. But I'm sure that it will be a different story in the morning.

So did anybody else get one? Where did you buy it? How people where there to purchase the Sony PSP? If you don't have a PSP, do you plan on hunting for a PSP to buy?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Imac G5
I want one so i can download mac software for it...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook | 1.83ghz | 2gb ram
I'm undecided between the PSP and Nintendo DS.

X

xthisisRomancex

lol...... my bro got onee ( due to my bad eyesite i cant reallly use handhelds) IMO, i would not get a DS. becasue nintendo is about to come out with another handheld the DS isnnt part of thje gameboy line ( gameboy,gamboy color,gameboy advance.....) the replace ment for the Gamboy advaned will be coming soon.they have already bought the doman name for it. tho i cant remeber it...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G5•2x1.8•1.5•320•8x+/-
i like the commercial for it i saw on the tele

D

Desolate One

I'm not much of a handheld gamer even though I have a GBA and GBA SP. I don't even have a single game for them, I just used them for Game Cube's Crystal Chronicles.

On the DS- I'm sure the awkward feel and control has driven customers away however there are some clever and fun games nonetheless. Feel The Magic being the game I've had the most experience with. Wario Ware Touched I'm sure will be another hit. You are correct on the extension on the Game Boy line and the DS not being it. Nintendo was very clear on this at launch. They are confident both handhelds can co-exist, so you don't have to worry about Nintendo pulling a Sega (ala 32X). Not just yet anyway!

With the target price of $99 for the next Game Boy most people feel this will just be an updated SP. However with penetration pricing being the norm these days in the industry this is just fan speculation.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" Flat Panel iMac -15" 1.5GHz, 80GB HDD, 128MB ATI video card, 1GB RAM- PowerBook
Picked mine up at EB Games locally last night at midnight. This system and games simply brings handheld gaming into the current generation. I bought Lumines, Need For Speed U:R, and NFL Street2 and eagerly awaiting MVP Baseball.

Nintendo fans might not like the PSP because of the price point but everyone should at least drop by a store to see the machine in real life in motion. The graphics and games are just jaw-dropping.

My 2 cents.

D

Desolate One

The graphics kinna reminded me of the PC Engine or Turbo Graphix 16. Just my opinion, no need to flame!!!! ;)

Again, like I said in my earlier post I'm not a handheld gamer so don't think I'm a Nintendo fanboy. I dislike them all equally! :)

Reaction score
I saw a kid playing with one at school, that thing is amazing. I have a DS already. I am very disappointed with the lack of quality games for it. I think the PSP is really the way to go. I don't do enough mobile gaming to spend that much money, I mainly bought my DS because I wanted to be able to play all my older GB games.

OP
iWhat

iWhat

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook, iMac G5, iPad, iPhone 4, iPod (MANY)!
mynameis said:
I saw a kid playing with one at school, that thing is amazing. I have a DS already. I am very disappointed with the lack of quality games for it. I think the PSP is really the way to go. I don't do enough mobile gaming to spend that much money, I mainly bought my DS because I wanted to be able to play all my older GB games.

I have a DS also, but I barely use it. But it's okay, I'm not really seeing any games that I'm dying to have for the DS either.

I just can't set my PSP down for a minute without thinking about it. I think, we'll be seeing some great innovative features coming in the future for the PSP. A feature that I'm impressed with at the moment is the PSP being able to use my wireless connection, and one of my games can even use the Internet to download content onto the memory card in the PSP. But I got a message from the video game developer that downloadable content will be coming soon.

Plus, there are already some great apps to use in conjuction with the PSP on the mac side, but the good ones cost money at the moment. I guess, I'll just have to want for some free apps ones.

J

jbsengineer

I just picked on up at Best Buy. They still have lots left. Guess they got over 200 in. Well I must say it is a jaw-dropper. Definetely worth the $250. Although there is some sort of defective screen on mine. Seems like dust or dirt was in the screen at manufacture. i bought a best buy plan so after work i hope to return it.

i really want to try the online mode and play someone across my wireless network. SO COOL!!

Josh

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacPro 3.0Ghz 16GB RAM, 4x256 Vid, 30''cinema display
I really dont even know that much about it.. but it looks like it will take off, i thinkin about buyin one...

J

Jefe3223

mynameis said:
I think the 2 screens on the DS are really pretty worthless.

I was to scared to buy the ds. I didn't understand playin' with two screens. It makes sence in some situations, but for most I think it would be weird. If anyone owns it and doesn't like it, I'm sorry and wish you luck in seeling it. PSP looks nice, but I don't think I have the funds to be able to buy it.

Z

zap2

i would get one but i do not see myself using it enough for 250 , for 70 more i could get a ipod photo[school discounts] or that would be about 25% of an ibook

id rather have something from mac then from sony

J

jbsengineer

i ended up returning mine. i exchanged it 3 times and each time it had screen defects. mostly LOTS of these initial so called "air bubbles". What a pain in the rear. i just told them once sony fixes there issues with it i'll be back. the last one i had also had a dead pixel. but these air bubbles are just ridiculous. talk about bad production lines. took me 10 minutes at best buy talking to there "geek squad" about how to see them. they insisted that it's just dust and to wipe it off with a cloth. then finally they opened there eyes and were pretty suprised, the manager stated "i can't believe they can sell them like that." honestly i'd rather have a dead pixel or 2 then 10 air bubbles.

"and trapped dust particles and bubbles, which look like pixel problems but are actually specs of dust or pockets of air trapped between the plastic layers of the screen"

but i insist on buying one again some time. maybe if sony makes a statement about all these defects that they are having from UMD drives to Buttons sticking. once i feel it's not going to be defective i'll definitely buy one. it's one AMAZING piece of technology. the graphics are incredible. i wish they could slap a mini HD in there though. memory is too expensive right now for it.

Josh

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" Flat Panel iMac -15" 1.5GHz, 80GB HDD, 128MB ATI video card, 1GB RAM- PowerBook
zap2 said:
i would get one but i do not see myself using it enough for 250 , for 70 more i could get a ipod photo[school discounts] or that would be about 25% of an ibook

id rather have something from mac then from sony

I understand brand loyalty and all but last I knew Apple (mac is a brand) doesn't make a handheld gaming machine. And trying to play any of the latest handheld games, regardless of who makes them, on an iPod Photo is impossible.

Now back on topic, I picked up Untold Legends and Ape Escape yesterday. Untold Legends is a cross between Diablo and Balders Gate (PS2 version). I played about 2 hours of it and it is very well implemented (i.e. control scheme fits perfectly on the PSP).

Ape Escape is very similar to the Ape Escape game that was released on the PS1 but the graphics have been given a huge kick in the pants as they are spectacular.

I'm eagerly awaiting MVP Baseball, if that is done right (controls, graphics, gameplay), this will be one hard machine for anyone to resist (that can afford it).

Just my 2 cents.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
jbsengineer said:
i ended up returning mine. i exchanged it 3 times and each time it had screen defects. mostly LOTS of these initial so called "air bubbles". What a pain in the rear. i just told them once sony fixes there issues with it i'll be back. the last one i had also had a dead pixel. but these air bubbles are just ridiculous. talk about bad production lines. took me 10 minutes at best buy talking to there "geek squad" about how to see them. they insisted that it's just dust and to wipe it off with a cloth. then finally they opened there eyes and were pretty suprised, the manager stated "i can't believe they can sell them like that." honestly i'd rather have a dead pixel or 2 then 10 air bubbles.

"and trapped dust particles and bubbles, which look like pixel problems but are actually specs of dust or pockets of air trapped between the plastic layers of the screen"

but i insist on buying one again some time. maybe if sony makes a statement about all these defects that they are having from UMD drives to Buttons sticking. once i feel it's not going to be defective i'll definitely buy one. it's one AMAZING piece of technology. the graphics are incredible. i wish they could slap a mini HD in there though. memory is too expensive right now for it.

Josh

Sorry about your luck with the "air bubbles" snafu, maybe it was just a bad batch the store had gotten. I got mine from EB games locally and don't have an air bubbles or dead pixels. In fact, I was back in the same EB store yesterday (bought mine at launch midnight) and the manager who sold me mine was telling me they only had 2 out of 280 that they sold returned for dead pixels/air bubbles.

There is no problem with the UMD or sticky buttons with the PSP that is being released in the US. Those were defects in the Japanese modeled that was released (and imported by some). Sony has even commented a few times about the improved latch on the US model version and the Square Button sticking was also fixed.

If you want a PSP now, then I would suggest going to a different store, like I said, that store might have gotten a bad batch.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G4 Cube 450mhz 832mb
I'd like to buy one, though I'm not much into games. though watching movies in high res on a handheld is so cool. if the funds allow for it, I may get on eventually, though I'll wait for the next 'release' minus the air bubbles and dust. also, I'm saving for a dual 2.5 ghz powermac g5.

J

jbsengineer

rberry88 said:
Sorry about your luck with the "air bubbles" snafu, maybe it was just a bad batch the store had gotten. I got mine from EB games locally and don't have an air bubbles or dead pixels. In fact, I was back in the same EB store yesterday (bought mine at launch midnight) and the manager who sold me mine was telling me they only had 2 out of 280 that they sold returned for dead pixels/air bubbles.

There is no problem with the UMD or sticky buttons with the PSP that is being released in the US. Those were defects in the Japanese modeled that was released (and imported by some). Sony has even commented a few times about the improved latch on the US model version and the Square Button sticking was also fixed.

If you want a PSP now, then I would suggest going to a different store, like I said, that store might have gotten a bad batch.

maybe i'll call around and see what i can find. i was thinking of going to another store. the only thing is i really wanted the best buy replacement plan (i live by them). maybe i'll try the circut city.

thanks for the heads up on the buttons.

Josh

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.