• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Who got a Sony PSP?

I

iDVFH.

Playstation and Nintendo are completely different IMO..Playstation is more for an older crowd (12-90) lol and Nintendo is aimed towards the much younger crowd (5-90) the games say it all..Playstation games have so many Mature rated games..I'm not even sure if Nintendo Gamecube has a Mature rated game..but I could be wrong..

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G4 Cube 450mhz 832mb
yea, plus nintendo's coming out with another console soon, sorta like the gamecube, but using normal sized discs, and playing dvd's and cd's.
I have a question on the psp. I heard you can connect it to your computer and put music on it,
is that true? if so, what kinda connection does it use? how much space does it hold? are the features mac friendly?

J

Jefe3223

jbsengineer said:
honestly i'd rather have a dead pixel or 2 then 10 air bubbles.
Agreed. I have a dead pixel on my mac at home. 'Twas an annoyance at first, but now I never even notice it (granted on a tinier screen, like the psp, it would probably draw the eye more). Also, I havn't seen a product with consistant air bubbles in it, in a long time. That's kind of dissapointing to hear (but you'd know, since you dealt with it).

macman said:
yea, plus nintendo's coming out with another console soon, sorta like the gamecube, but using normal sized discs, and playing dvd's and cd's
Poor nintendo. I used to love them so; I was a die hard n64 fan and would never give into the playsation machine... that failed. The gamecube was a bad call on nintendo's part. It didn't have the power of xbox, the game selection of ps2, or the internet capabilites (well it does, just not used often) as either off the two parties. Nintendo better A) kick some major butt with htis new counsol and blow away everyone with it, or B) focus purely on the handheld divsion and kill off playstions psp with new designs....I doubt either will happen anytim soon, though.

D

Desolate One

The Gamecube is my favourite console. Well, perhaps next to the Dreamcast. Do you have one Jefe? It's an amazing little machine.

D

Desolate One

DV'SiBOOKG4 said:
Playstation and Nintendo are completely different IMO..Playstation is more for an older crowd (12-90) lol and Nintendo is aimed towards the much younger crowd (5-90) the games say it all..Playstation games have so many Mature rated games..I'm not even sure if Nintendo Gamecube has a Mature rated game..but I could be wrong..

The Resident Evil franchise is all rated "M".

J

Jefe3223

Desolate One said:
The Gamecube is my favourite console. Well, perhaps next to the Dreamcast. Do you have one Jefe? It's an amazing little machine.
Do I have one? no. Is there one in my room that I play? yes.
haha. Naw, I'm not knockin' the game cube. I'm just saying that it could have been better. It's obvious that it didn't sell nearly the numbers it had hoped to. The lack of most of their games being online, the sheer lack of games, and the power is where it faultered. It has a good price, I'll give you that, and I like some of the games, but the amount of games (especially wildly hyped/popular games (halo, gt4, gta, etc)) hurts the counsol. I think/hope their new one will be great. I've always like nintendo, but fear it will fall to the way of the sega (except it will still stay on making gameboys, I bet)

D

Desolate One

Well Nintendo did shoot themselves in the foot with their proprietary format. They've always been frightened of software piracy. Unfortunately the first of the modern consoles I picked up was the XBox for the DVD playback capability, and I'm sure plenty of other gamers made the same decision as I. However you have to admit the quality of those games on a 8mm disk is impressive! Not to mention the quick loadtimes.

As far as the online capabilities, Nintento also has a different philosophy then we're used to. You bought it, it's your game, play it. They didn't want to create a subscription service ala Live as Microsoft did. Thus developers were slow (well almost non-existant) to jump on the GC online games.

You're right, there aren't very many titles and I wish there were more of a library (can't wait for Killer 7!!!), but there are some crazy fun games. The majority of games I have for XBox end up frustrating me and I quit gaming for a long while. It's never happened with my 'cube though!

I'm also hoping their next gen console will be great. They really need to get back on the map of console gaming otherwise they may very well go the way of Sega... well sans all the GameBoy and DS sales and whatnot.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini 1.58 - 60 GB 7200 RPM Hard Drive - 1 GB PC3200 & 1.33 Ghz 12" iBook w/ 80 GB 7200 RPM HD
Well...I've never stated my opinions on the two before so...here goes:

I own both systems. If I had to sum up my feelings into a one liner...I'd say "To Nintendo: Be worried...be very worried."

For the DS: I like the DS and it's attept to try to inovate handheld gaming. I link the DS's ability to use all the existing library of GB Advance games. I don't really get into the stylus stuff though I must say...I even find using the demo of Metroid counter intuitive...For me, it's just difficult to get used to. I don't like the current selection of DS games. In fact the only ones I have are Tiger Woods and Spiderman 2 (only because it had to be bought by my wife in a combo deal when it came out). Tiger Woods is ok...the stylus control of the swing is a pretty nice of the touchscreen...but Spiderman 2 just plain blows. I don't like how Nintendo has crippled the wireless ability of the handheld (can't use KAI to tunnel :( ). And to the people that think that Nintendo won't give up on the DS if and when they come out with a true successor to the GB Advance...one statement for ya - remeber Virtual Boy anyone? I certainly hope the DS doesn't go down that road. I've always been a Nintendo fan...and I love a few of their homegrown franchises (Metroid, Zelda, Mario, etc.) but I think they're treading on thin ice with their older fans. I think they've forgotten that there is a whole generation of gamers that have grown up playing on Nintendo systems...but that they have done just that...they've grown up...and they want grown up games.

For the PSP: Having this much gaming power in a handheld...Amazing. Screen...blows the doors off the two screens on a DS. The selection of games might be rehashes of old PS2 games...but I think that they are more fun for the older gamer in general. The ability to watch movies and listen to music on the system WILL BE a major factor in the handheld system market (I have a GBA Movie Player as well...but it's no contest). I'm a traveling professional and I guarantee you that the DS will stay home and the PSP will come with me when I travel. It just has more uses in one device. I have heard others saying that the PSP doesn't feel like a handheld...it feels like a console...IMHO that's a good thing...and slightly amazing in it's own right. I think the success of the PSP is only limited by Sony's arrogance. If they would open the market up by producing a reasonably priced UMD recorder (even for movies only), if they will allow the full video capabilities of the machine to be used by videos off the memory stick, if they will allow more and more internet play to come to fruition...the sky's the limit for the PSP. A few titles for the PSP would seal the deal almost. I could see EQ on the PSP, a good FF title, a GTA title, a good FPS...and it's bye bye birdie for the older crowd on a nintendo handheld.

JMTC

D

Desolate One

Well I wouldn't go as far as to say the DS is going down the same path as the Virtual Boy. The Virtual Boy was a Virtual flop. The DS is doing quite well by comparison. However if you mean Nintendo just wanted to take attention away from the PSP launch by releasing the DS, then I think Sega's 32X would be a better analogy. ;)

Nintendo does claim however that they intend for both the GameBoy and the DS line to co-exist. How truthful that statement is, only Nintendo knows. But you have to admit the DS will benefit Nintendo. Look at the huge R&D testbed(with new hardware implimentations) they have w/ paying DS customers! That beats paying a room of nerds to test the hardware out.

Heck, I'm still waiting for RedSky Mobile to release their GPS attachment for my SP!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro (early 2011) 2,2 i7, 4 GB RAM, 750 GB HDD, 1 GB ATI 6750M, High-Res AntiGlare Screen
the PSP aint out here in Denmark yet :( ,,, not that im getting one....

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini 1.58 - 60 GB 7200 RPM Hard Drive - 1 GB PC3200 & 1.33 Ghz 12" iBook w/ 80 GB 7200 RPM HD
Desolate One said:
Well I wouldn't go as far as to say the DS is going down the same path as the Virtual Boy. The Virtual Boy was a Virtual flop. The DS is doing quite well by comparison. ...

Well...the DS may have been doing quite well...but time will tell how well it continues to do. I personally believe that the DS only did well because it was released during a weak holiday buying season in which it had little to no competition...doubly so with the poor supply of both the Xbox and PS2 in the North American market. Don't get me wrong...I certainly hope the DS does not go the way of the Virtual Boy...but I can see some strong similarities between the two. Both have unorthadox configurations, both are placed into the market in an attempt to "change the way people play games", both were "not intended to replace the gameboy", and both have some potentially fatal flaws (VB was monochrome only, the DS has not been shown to allow true online gaming *yet*, et al). Of course we can never know how the PSP would compare to the DS in the NA market if it had been released at the same time...but I'd venture to say that the DS wouldn't look nearly as strong. The simple fact of the matter is this...if the DS is to survive as a viable platform for older gamers (or older professionals period for that matter) Nintendo must produce, or do it's absolute best to encourage the third part production of, games that appeal to an older audience of gamers. Dating simulations, mini-game collections, and ports of old N64 platformers are just not going to cut it.

D

Desolate One

mcsenerd said:
Well...the DS may have been doing quite well...but time will tell how well it continues to do. I personally believe that the DS only did well because it was released during a weak holiday buying season in which it had little to no competition...doubly so with the poor supply of both the Xbox and PS2 in the North American market. Don't get me wrong...I certainly hope the DS does not go the way of the Virtual Boy...but I can see some strong similarities between the two. Both have unorthadox configurations, both are placed into the market in an attempt to "change the way people play games", both were "not intended to replace the gameboy", and both have some potentially fatal flaws (VB was monochrome only, the DS has not been shown to allow true online gaming *yet*, et al). Of course we can never know how the PSP would compare to the DS in the NA market if it had been released at the same time...but I'd venture to say that the DS wouldn't look nearly as strong. The simple fact of the matter is this...if the DS is to survive as a viable platform for older gamers (or older professionals period for that matter) Nintendo must produce, or do it's absolute best to encourage the third part production of, games that appeal to an older audience of gamers. Dating simulations, mini-game collections, and ports of old N64 platformers are just not going to cut it.

Absolutely correct. You have some amazing points. This is what I like to see on a discussion board! :)

OP
iWhat

iWhat

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook, iMac G5, iPad, iPhone 4, iPod (MANY)!
Macman said:
yea, plus nintendo's coming out with another console soon, sorta like the gamecube, but using normal sized discs, and playing dvd's and cd's.
I have a question on the psp. I heard you can connect it to your computer and put music on it,
is that true? if so, what kinda connection does it use? how much space does it hold? are the features mac friendly?

Yes, you can put pictures, music and movies or video files on the PSP. The video format needs to be MPEG-4, so if you have Quicktime Pro, you're in luck. The way you hook up the PSP is with a mini usb cable. I'll supply a picture, so there is no confusion as to what cable is needed. The PSP comes with a 30MB memory card called the Memory Stick Duo, which is used in many digital cameras at the moment, so it's not only used for the PSP. I have seen some memory cards for 1GB for around $150. The PSP is very mac friendly, my PSP has mounted with no problem. There is now software avaliable on the mac side in order to transfer your media to the PSP. The two apps are PSPware and iPSP; they both cost money sadly.

miniusb.jpg

Z

zap2

rberry88 said:
I understand brand loyalty and all but last I knew Apple (mac is a brand) doesn't make a handheld gaming machine. And trying to play any of the latest handheld games, regardless of who makes them, on an iPod Photo is impossible.

I'm eagerly awaiting MVP Baseball, if that is done right (controls, graphics, gameplay), this will be one hard machine for anyone to resist (that can afford it).

Just my 2 cents.

it is now clear to me that you really like your psp
i would rather be listen to music on an ipod photo because i do not use handheld games or systms because most tv systms are better and cheaper[xbox and i would think ps2 is better then psp. Mac (or for the people who do not know that apple makes mac,APPLE) is much better in technolgy. Apple makes computers and ipods(which took the place of sony walkmans). DO you own an ipod??? They are great music players (made by the great apple computer company)
I think that i would rather have an ipod shuffle and a DS for the same price as psp but im saving for a ibook or ipod photo and some memory 1 gig sticks for my imac g5 1.8ghz.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
dual 2.5 ghz g5 desktop with ati 800x video card,14" iBook 1gb
all thouse **** hanheld games are boring...my friend got one and i was playing nfsu2 it and i was like jesus! this is boring!!!..idk i guess its a expensive alternative*to a portible multimedia device

theres my 4 cents

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" Flat Panel iMac -15" 1.5GHz, 80GB HDD, 128MB ATI video card, 1GB RAM- PowerBook
zap2 said:
it is now clear to me that you really like your psp
i would rather be listen to music on an ipod photo because i do not use handheld games or systms because most tv systms are better and cheaper[xbox and i would think ps2 is better then psp. Mac (or for the people who do not know that apple makes mac,APPLE) is much better in technolgy. Apple makes computers and ipods(which took the place of sony walkmans). DO you own an ipod??? They are great music players (made by the great apple computer company)
I think that i would rather have an ipod shuffle and a DS for the same price as psp but im saving for a ibook or ipod photo and some memory 1 gig sticks for my imac g5 1.8ghz.

Yep, I have Gen4 20GB iPod and a 1GB iPod Shuffle (to go along with my iMac and PowerBook). The PSP doesn't 'replace' a console, it goes one step further, it lets you take current console quality games along with you to play on the road. Buying a DS and an iPod shuffle (1GB) would put you right into the price range of a PSP and then you'd only have 1 item to carry instead of 2.

It all boils down to personal preference, I prefer PSP, you prefer DS, no problem. That is why it is so great to have choices.

:yinyang:

Reaction score
i bet xbox will be on the handheld scene sooner or later. I never used my gameboys I had so I doubt ill be getting a psp of a ds.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MacBook Pro
I want one so much but gota get the $$ first :-(

by the way did any one see the southpark episode??

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacPro, MBP C2D, iMac G4
Who wants to buy my PSP? Its for sale in the Buy/Sell/Trade forum.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.