Did something to my touchpad!

Reaction score
Help! Something's wrong with my touchpad. When I click it down it feels like somethings stuck up in it and I have to press REALLY hard to get it to click. I think there might be some milk in there.... Any ideas?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Help! Something's wrong with my touchpad. When I click it down it feels like somethings stuck up in it and I have to press REALLY hard to get it to click. I think there might be some milk in there.... Any ideas?

What the heck is milk doing up there!!

No eating/drinking around your laptop!!!

Next thing you'll be spilling a beverage on it...short the whole thing out...then posting on here:

"What should I do, my MacBook isn't working, I spilled a glass of (water, coffee, soda, etc) on it!";D

How much milk are we talking about...a few drops...or a glass full?

- Nick

OP
W
Reaction score
Gah I know, I'm going to Mac owners ****. But it's only a very small amount. Like a few drops. But now no click registers at all and I can only tap-to-click.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Gah I know, I'm going to Mac owners ****. But it's only a very small amount. Like a few drops. But now no click registers at all and I can only tap-to-click.

I hope you know I was just teasing! ;D

Are you sure it's just a couple drops of milk?...of course if the trackpad stopped working right after the milk...that's a pretty good indication it was the milk!

Did you try restarting the computer?...long shot I know!

- Nick

OP
W
Reaction score
I've restarted it. A few times. The trackpad feels like there's gunk in it. Maybe more than I thought got in? I dunno....

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I've restarted it. A few times. The trackpad feels like there's gunk in it. Maybe more than I thought got in? I dunno....

Sounds like it's external mouse time! ;D

Maybe if you got liquid in there, a couple days of drying out may help.

- Nick

OP
W
Reaction score
I think I'll go about cleaning it myself. It still does function if I press super hard so I don't need a repair. I opened it a few minutes ago and I need a tri-wing screwdriver to get the battery out. Does anybody know of any videos showing how to clean under the trackpad?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
What's a "tri-wing" screwdriver?

I know:

- flat tipped
- phillips head
- torx
- allen head
- etc.

But haven't head of a tri-wing screwdriver...maybe it's something new.

- Nick

OP
W
Reaction score
Well when I open it there's a screw holding the battery in that has 3 slots like an inside out Phillips. I looked online and it was referred to as a tri-wing.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.