Running Bootcamp AND Parallels

Reaction score
I have just installed windows XP onto Bootcamp with no problems. I also have Parallels Desktop installed and want to know if/how i can access the Bootcamp system via Parallels.

Thanks

Reaction score
Yes. Parallels will create a VM from your BC partition - it should detect it automatically and offer to do so. However, you should be advised that there are reports of boot sector corruption on XP installs that run a VM off a Boot Camp partition (I believe that's true for both Fusion and Parallels - but others will jump in if it's only for Fusion). So you might find at some point that it stops working. Oddly enough, it's just an XP issue, not Vista or Win 7.

Having said that, the software will do it for you just fine.

Good luck!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
To the OP:

Sammy is correct about the possible corruption caused by using your Boot Camp partition as a VM in either Parallels or Fusion. I advise against doing so as it will cause you more headaches trying to set things right if corruption does occur. Either install XP via Boot Camp stand alone, or, install it via Parallels as a VM, but not both ways.

The reason corruption does not occur with Vista or Win 7 is that both use a different boot sector scheme which is less susceptible to corruption or a virus.

Regards.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.