7100 / 66 Floppy Drive

Reaction score
Mac Pro 7100 / 66 is the computer control for a CNC device. Attempting to send instructions for machine operations. Previous question on network connectivity answered suggesting the need for system files to be loaded. The device has a 3.5 floppy although I can not view disks or see 3.5 floppy as an option in the Finder. Not certain whether to locate and attempt install of used 3.5, whether 7.5 will support the installation of a new (current model) 3.5 floppy, or am I looking the wrong location to access the drive?

Thanks for your review and assistance.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
The device has a 3.5 floppy although I can not view disks or see 3.5 floppy as an option in the Finder.

I'm actually kind of confused by what you were saying in your posting.

I do not understand what you mean in the quote above?

The floppy drive is on the front of the computer (the horizontal slot on the upper right of the front of the computer).

If you insert a 3.5" floppy disk...an image of the disk should show up on the desktop.

You need to share more information. When you insert the floppy into the drive...what happens & what doesn't happen?

Thanks,

- Nick

OP
R
Reaction score
More Info on 7100 / 66 floppy

Thanks for your reply Nick.

When I insert a floppy physically into the drive, no image appears on the desktop. Additionally, when I attempt to locate and open known text files. I can see the HD, I then click on the dropdown and the floppy is not displayed as an option. My assumption is that the hardware (original OEM floppy drive) is not being seen or detected by the motherboard or possibly the OS. The result I looking to achieve is to be able to access and open files housed on the floppy.

Thank you again for your response. I hope this provides the info you need.

Live Large
rob

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
If the system doesn't recognize the floppy drive, then either the drive, the cable, or the motherboard is bad.

You can find the drives for about $25 if you Google "apple manual inject floppy" and the cables for about $5 if you Google for "apple floppy cable." Look for one that matches your model number.

On the other hand, a working, used 7100 (or similar machine) shouldn't cost more than about $40.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.