Only allowed one application to be maximized at a time?

Reaction score
Hi all. Just converted to Mac so you are dealing with an OS X noob. I am trying to understand the settings required to have multiple applications open at the same time on one desktop. I am not using spaces so I only have one desktop. What happens is everytime I click on a running application on my dock or the desktop, I no longer see the other open applications that are running. This would be great if I was trying not to multitask but I opted for a mac for it’s multitasking superiority. is an example. I have Entourage running now as I type this. I go up to the menu bar under Entourage and click show all. Then I see all my open applications. Firefox, Documents Folder, Entourage,Thunderbird etc.. The minute I click on any of those windows or an area of the desktop not covered by the applications, all other windows automatically minimize to the dock. Like there is some setting that only allows me to have one application on the desktop at a time.

Thanks in advance.

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
Use Expose. >_>"

OP
D
Reaction score
Expose doesn't work either

I can't even use Expose? When I open up all the windows via the menu bar "Show all", I can use Expose to switch between windows. But the instant I click on one of the windows, all other windows get minimized. At this point, even when I try to use Expose, it doesn't work. It will only show the one application window, that's it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27 iMac+Thunderbolt, iMac 21,
Have a peek here you may find the answer you are looking for.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27 iMac+Thunderbolt, iMac 21,
I run a number of apps at the same time and leave parts of their windows visible so just by clicking on the window it brings it to the top and makes the App active - they all sit in the background open and ready to go.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.