iPhone 3GS Battery Issue

Reaction score
Software Version: 3.0.1

Hello everybody.

I have an issue with my 3GS' battery - the battery is simply draining so fast! This was especially evident whilst roaming - data, location services, 3G were all switched off and the battery was worse than ever.

After 9hrs50mins standby and 2hrs35mins audio usage, the battery had fallen to 29% from a full charge. Is this normal? It certainly wasn't like it when I first got the phone.

I have booked an appointment at a Genius bar - any ideas what they'll do?

Thanks very much for your feedback.

Jason

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
No, it's not normal.

How long have you had the iPhone? Many products, iPods and iPhones included, get better battery life after a bit of conditioning. It can help if you let the battery die completely 3 or 4 times in a row and then fully charge it each time before use.

It is possible your battery has issues though. Other things that can kill the battery are WiFi use, Bluetooth and many games/apps can kill the batter fast as well.

OP
J
Reaction score
No, it's not normal.

How long have you had the iPhone? Many products, iPods and iPhones included, get better battery life after a bit of conditioning. It can help if you let the battery die completely 3 or 4 times in a row and then fully charge it each time before use.

It is possible your battery has issues though. Other things that can kill the battery are WiFi use, Bluetooth and many games/apps can kill the batter fast as well.

Thanks for your feedback. Wifi was off and so was Bluetooth. The phone crashed during the update to 3.0.1 and I had to restore from backup - the problem have occurred since then. I have had the iPhone since 1st July.

Thanks again.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
Sounds like there is something odd related to the restore. Apple should be able to help you, or you can try another restore for grins.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15", 2.16 ghz, 1GB ram, 120GB; iPod Classic 80GB; iPod shuffle (2nd gen); iPhone 16gb
I'm having some issues with battery life too.

Today, for instance, after a full charge, it's been on standby for 16 hours and been used for 4, but I've only listened to three songs, used 3G for browsing for about twenty minutes, and the rest was spent sending texts. No phone calls or email. The battery is now at 36%.

Does that sound normal? I do find the battery life quite poor in general, particularly when compared with my first gen iPhone - which I had right up until I upgraded to 3G S a couple of weeks after it was launched. I always have Bluetooth off and rarely use WiFi (haven't used it at all today).

I'm too late to return to O2 because I've had it for more than 28 days but should I take it to the Apple Store?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2xiMac24 w Parallels 6 (1x White, 1x Aluminum), iPhone 3GS with iOS5
I am on my third day with my iPhone and noticed day 1 ate through the battery as everyone suggested with heavy www usage and email setup. Day 2 ate through the battery also and finished at 6%. Last night I turned it off and charged it via usb. Started at 100% and 8 hours later, 4 phone calls, email push every 30 minutes it says 81%. Acceptable. Bluetooth off, WiFi off as well.

Reaction score
Similar problems with my 3G, after update I flattened the battery overnight with nil use, usage showed 4hrs 32 and s/by 11hrs 20. Last night I charged it all night using the mains charger rather than USB, battery flat after 9 hours, showing 4hrs 11 usage although I have not made or received a single call and only used wifi for half an hour, standby 12hrs 45... anyone got any ideas?

The apple support guy got me to back up and do a full restore, it does not appear to have made any difference.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacbookPro 15.4, 2.2ghz i7 (Late 2011), Macbook 1,1 1.83ghz CoreDuo
i have an older 3G 8GB version, i can see my battery last long on some days then the others. While at work (since i cant have my phone in the office, military reasons) i keep it turned off in my locker. Outside of work, if im not doing anything specific, wifi/BT and 3G are all turned off, i use the EDGE network and it saves battery life. Sometimes at the gym where i get minimal service, ill put it in airplane mode to preserve more battery. I can go about 2 days on average usage. i have push emails every 15mins, make about 6-7 calls a day maybe 10-15mins per call. and ocassional music usage. by day 2 im at 20%.

just my experience.

Reaction score
My iphone is now sorted, Apple old me to do the following "errased ipsw files in mac finder/user name/library/itunes/iphone software update then put this files into the trash"
then empty trash and restart computer.

Should have mentioned backup first!!

then do a restore, and finally restore from backup, my iphone has been running for 3 days on s/by, no probs

Reaction score
Having the same issue. Mines worse I think. I have it fully charged before goign to sleep, and wkaing up in the morning its at 70%. And when I fully charge and take out and only use the phone for like txt 10 times, and at the end of the day its around 5% or switched off. I like my 3G better than 3GS to be honest at least that lasted around 1.5 days without needing a charge.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Thought maybe I had waited long enough to upgrade - guess not.

After finally upgrading to the 3gs from the 2g, the battery does leave a lot to be desired in the 3gs.

The way I use it, primarily as a phone, no texting, bluetooth on, wifi off and taking pictures at job sites - the 2g went for a good 5 days between charges at 2 yrs old. The new 3gs barely gets 2 days.

Never had a single dropped call on the 2g without reason either - like one of us getting into an elevator, etc. Am now getting disconnects and drop outs on at least 20-30% of my calls. My wife can't even make/receive a call from the desk at her office with the new phone. So it refuses to even switch back to the edge network.

I will try conditioning and see if that improves the battery any.

About the only thing it does do better, if I'm inside one of the big box electronics stores, I get a much better browsing experience to check prices online.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.