I just replaced the Super Drive on my MacBook Pro

Reaction score
I have the first generation MacBook Pro that comes with the crappy UJ-857C drives that are very unreliable and unpredictable with a GSA-S10N Superdrive I got on eBay for SuperDrive. I followed the guide at ifixit.com and it was incredibly easy.

It took less than an hour to do (MacBook Pro has so many screws!) but it was a great experience in opening up the Mac and learning how easy it was to replace the parts.

I now have a much more reliable drive and Dual Layer capabilities and couldn't be happier! I feel like getting a whole new laptop for the price of $50! I also upgraded to Leopard from Tiger and am enjoying it. Finally running Windows 7 native on the MacBook Pro without Parallels and it makes a huge difference.

Reaction score
I have the first generation MacBook Pro that comes with the crappy UJ-857C drives that are very unreliable and unpredictable with a GSA-S10N Superdrive I got on eBay for SuperDrive. I followed the guide at ifixit.com and it was incredibly easy.

It took less than an hour to do (MacBook Pro has so many screws!) but it was a great experience in opening up the Mac and learning how easy it was to replace the parts.

I now have a much more reliable drive and Dual Layer capabilities and couldn't be happier! I feel like getting a whole new laptop for the price of $50! I also upgraded to Leopard from Tiger and am enjoying it. Finally running Windows 7 native on the MacBook Pro without Parallels and it makes a huge difference.

I have a Macbook and the hdd died last night. I am going to upgrade to a larger hdd and 10.5 from 10.4. How do you go about running Windows 7 without Parallels? I dont know how to go about doing it.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.