Problems Installing Windows XP via BootCamp

Reaction score
Hey guys.

I require windows on my Mac as i need it for work and had XP set up fine on my old machine using Parallels. This was little slow at times so on my new machine i have been trying to install using Bootcamp. All is well at first. I partition the HD with around 50GB of space and start the windows XP install. Once the system reboots and comes back on it says "Disk Error- Press any key" and all keys are unresponsive. At this point the windows XP disk is still in the machine.

AM i doing something wrong here. The XP disc is perfectly intact and has been used on other computers fine.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Which version of Windows XP are you trying to install? The only versions that can be installed are: Genuine MS boxed XP Home or Pro SP2 or 3 full install,
OEM System Builders XP Home or Pro SP2 or 3 full install. Recovery versions, OEM branded versions, upgrades, VL versions, do not work.

And, if your XP version is by chance an OEM version, it can only be installed on one machine; no transfers allowed. You stated you used it on other machines - only a legal MS boxed copy can be removed from one machine and installed on another.

Regards.

OP
L
Reaction score
Thanks for reply.

Yes its a Microsoft XP Home Edition and a managed to install it fine after watching a YouTube install video. This has created a second small problem. i have just wiped my entire old machine entirely as its for sale now. However the windows xp wont register on my new machine as its only one computer per copy.

Can i reinstall XP on the old machine, de-activate it then install it on my new machine and activate it again?

Thanks for your help

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.