WD 2TB My Book World Edition not connecting

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
OSX10.5, INTEL 2.0GHZ, 2MB RAM
I have a 2TB World book NAS hard drive that is connected to my router and has worked fine. In the middle of this week I updated the firmware on the device and now I can no longer connect to it. From the web interface for my router I can see that it is connected and that it has been assigned an IP address and from my Mac I am able to ping it successfully. I have tried resetting it about 6 times trying different scenarios trying to get it to mount. I have tried with both Firefox and Safari to communicate with the device through it's web interface by typing the assigned IP address in the address bar but both browsers just give me connection failure errors.

Any ideas of how I can retrieve the data on these drives?

Thanks for your help!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
The only thing I can suggest is to try to step back the firmware release to the previous one. And, I'm not sure how you would do that unless the firmware update software saved a copy of the old firmware prior to updating to the new version.

You might also try contacting Western Digital for assistance.

Regards.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook pro - 2.4ghz - mac osx - v.10.5.8
ive had the same problem with my wd 1tb nas hdd and the mac firmware update...but rolling back is impossible i think? correct me if im wrong. But still have found no solution i know its not my hdd because i opened the hdd on my brothers windows computer with ease. im going to take my mac into apple soon to see what the problem is and to see if they can mend it uness you have found a way?
cheers

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini 3.1 (2.0GHz), 24 inch LED, iPhone, iPod 3rd Gen
same problem here with my WD 1tb. Lost connection in finder the other day and still trying to reconnect. All the windows PC's in my network have no problem and connect with ease. It also still works as a shared media player in iTunes... Already contacted Western Digital but still waiting for reply...

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.