remote login?

Reaction score
ok. i have about 150gb of movies, tv shows and music on an external drive connected my imac.

i want to be able to access those files from my mbp anywhere i go that has an internet connection.

if im at school, i want to be able to stream music between classes.
if im at a friends, i want to be able to watch one of the movies i have at home.

i dont want to clutter this computer with music and junk if i can stream it from home.

ideas?

free would be awesome.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini, Iphone and AppleTV
I don't consider myself an expert at any level, but you maybe able create an FTP server and download the content anywhere you have an internet. One thing I am not sure is whether there are any legal issues here. Its one thing you have your friends over at your place Vs downloading your personal media at your friends place. You might want to check that with someone who knows more first.

There might be some free bees that lets you create this FTP server if MAC doesn't let you do that. Also you can register your domain via selfip.com and then have a routing mechanism on their website to your home web server (you need change the settings on your home router for this). It all free. I have seen people doing this for different purpose. Basically you can treat your web server as a file server where you can upload and load whatever content. Again, not sure about legal issues here because you dealing with media.

Hope this helps.

OP
G
Reaction score
good thought but not what im looking for. at least i dont think it is.

really i just want to be able to listen to the music i have on my home computer when im not at home.

from the research i have done. setting up a VPN will let me do that, but i have no idea how to set up a vpn server for free.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15.4" uMBP: iPhone 4
If you have a netgear router then you can simply setup a VPN.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.