Looking to replace my imac G4 with a Power Mac G5 Dual 1.8GHZ

Reaction score
I have been using my imac G4 800mhz again recently after my main machine a P4 3GHZ PC decide to give up the ghost. As I only use the machine for surfing the net and the odd game, I decided against repairing my PC or building a new one.The only reason I am looking at replacing the imac is that it is starting to struggle just surfing the net. It has the max memory it can have 1GB installed so my only option I can see is to replace it.

I have been looking around and I was toying with the idea of a getting an imac but I cannot justify spending that much and have now seen a Power Mac G5 1.8GHz Dual with a 320GB HD and I think it has 1GB ram for sale and I like the idea of using one of these. But for the money I could get a good spec PC. But I do like the OSX operating system and as I spend most of my days at work using/supporting XP users I would pref something different at home. What sort of performance could I expect from the Power Mac G5 dual say compared to my old P4 3GHZ or the imac G4 800mhz.

I am hoping to use the 640GB SATA HD out of my PC and also the 4GB of DDR to upgrade the Power Mac G5 Dual so it will last me a while.

Also another question as there are different versions of this machine some with PCI some with PCI-X and some with PCIe I would like to know my options. Will a standrad PC graphics card with the correct interface work or does the card have to have a MAC firmware version on it to work with the MAC range of PC's so it can work with the PPC chip. Also Does the PCI version of the Power MAC G5 have AGP?

I have looked around the net for some info on this but as Apple have moved across to the Intel range now most info on the net refers to Power Mac with intel chips.

If you have an PowerMac G5 Dual any words of wisdom you have would be gratefully received

Thank You

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I have been using my imac G4 800mhz again recently after my main machine a P4 3GHZ PC decide to give up the ghost. As I only use the machine for surfing the net and the odd game, I decided against repairing my PC or building a new one.The only reason I am looking at replacing the imac is that it is starting to struggle just surfing the net. It has the max memory it can have 1GB installed so my only option I can see is to replace it.

I have been looking around and I was toying with the idea of a getting an imac but I cannot justify spending that much and have now seen a Power Mac G5 1.8GHz Dual with a 320GB HD and I think it has 1GB ram for sale and I like the idea of using one of these. But for the money I could get a good spec PC. But I do like the OSX operating system and as I spend most of my days at work using/supporting XP users I would pref something different at home. What sort of performance could I expect from the Power Mac G5 dual say compared to my old P4 3GHZ or the imac G4 800mhz.

I am hoping to use the 640GB SATA HD out of my PC and also the 4GB of DDR to upgrade the Power Mac G5 Dual so it will last me a while.

Also another question as there are different versions of this machine some with PCI some with PCI-X and some with PCIe I would like to know my options. Will a standrad PC graphics card with the correct interface work or does the card have to have a MAC firmware version on it to work with the MAC range of PC's so it can work with the PPC chip. Also Does the PCI version of the Power MAC G5 have AGP?

I have looked around the net for some info on this but as Apple have moved across to the Intel range now most info on the net refers to Power Mac with intel chips.

If you have an PowerMac G5 Dual any words of wisdom you have would be gratefully received

Thank You

I'll try to hit most of your questions:

- the G5 will be much better than the 800mhz iMac
- don't know about G5 vs. your P4 PC
- if you like OS X...then you got to get a Mac...doesn't matter what sort of PC you could get for the same money!!
- PC graphics card won't work in a Mac. They can be "flashed", but they can still have compatibility issues.
- I'm 99% sure all the G5's have an AGP slot

As far as info on Powermac G5's...plenty of info out there...you're just not looking in the right places. Check this link out:

Apple Power Macintosh G5 1.8 DP (PCI-X) Specs (Original/Late 2003 - M9393LL/A) @ EveryMac.com

The link is for a Power Mac G5 1.8ghz dual processor with PCI-X...the other versions of the 1.8ghz are at this site as well.

Good luck,

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.