Leave it on or not?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 13"
After reading quite a few posts, I have noticed that many people here do now power down their Mac when they go to sleep or leave it alone for a long time.

Due to my friend's Alienware computer over heating and frying the motherboard after never turning it off, I have been skeptical to shut down my new Macbook Pro 13".

I was wondering if it would be beneficial for me to do just close my laptop when I go to sleep.

Do the fans run while the computer is in sleep mode?

I was also wondering how much the battery depletes after around 10 hours in sleep mode.

Thanks

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
If you aren't using your MB, you might as well close the lid and put it to sleep to reduce the battery usage. The laptops are pretty good about using just enough battery power to sleep without sucking it dry.

On the other hand, having a machine running doesn't necessarily cause it to overheat. However, having inadequate ventilation and failing/inadequate fans DO cause overheating.

I have a PC that's running Linux that is on all the time (doesn't sleep) and has been on for months without any problems.

Regards

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac * 2.8 Ghz Intel Core i7 * 16GB 1333 Mhz DDR3 * 1TB HD *AMD Radeon HD 6770M 512 MB
You might want to look into a tool called Smart Sleep, which puts your MB to sleep or hibernation or some combination of both depending on how much your battery is charged. For the most part though, just shutting the lid will be fine.

OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 13"
If you aren't using your MB, you might as well close the lid and put it to sleep to reduce the battery usage. The laptops are pretty good about using just enough battery power to sleep without sucking it dry.

On the other hand, having a machine running doesn't necessarily cause it to overheat. However, having inadequate ventilation and failing/inadequate fans DO cause overheating.

I have a PC that's running Linux that is on all the time (doesn't sleep) and has been on for months without any problems.

Regards

Thanks.

Oh, and my friend's computer's fans stopped working, and I think it had to do with it never being turned off for over a year (maybe the fans were running sometimes, I don't know).

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
Yeah, a fan dying is the way for hardware failure. Very important to have proper circulation in any system to ensure that all the hot air is taken out..

Regards

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.