Expresscard 34 not working in Leopard?

Reaction score
Hi everyone!

I ordered an Expresscard 34 off ebay. and i just recieved it today. When i plugged it in to my Unibody MBP, it did not work, but when i restarted into bootcamp, it worked perfectly fine.

Now my question is, should i get my money back from the guy because he stated that it would work with Mac, or should i search for drivers?

Thanks in advance!

By the way, it is a 24 in 1 card reader.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Get your money back. If the card didn't come with drivers for OS X, you're probably going to have a difficult time finding them and without drivers it's not going to work. Hardware that's advertised as working for both PC and a Mac should come with a disk unless the hardware is plug and play for OS X and doesn't require a driver.

Regards.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Of course searching for drivers should be done first...it's just easier.

It might be kind of tough to get your money back from an e-Bay seller!

E-Bay & Paypal really are not that helpful in this sort of situation...I've been screwed a number of times...and giving the guy negative feedback doesn't seem to have the impact it once did years ago...and giving him negative feedback won't make the card work any better!

Hopefully you will have success finding drivers,

- Nick

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Well said. Unfortunately, most folks don't realize that eBay owns and operates Pay Pal. Guess whose side eBay is going to decide on? I try to avoid eBay and Craig's list - unless I can meet face to face with the seller or buyer. Yeah, I know, there's some great bargains to be had on eBay, but when you factor in the possible headache of having to return an item or disputing a sale, it's just not worth it, to me anyway.

Regards.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well said. Unfortunately, most folks don't realize that eBay owns and operates Pay Pal. Guess whose side eBay is going to decide on? I try to avoid eBay and Craig's list - unless I can meet face to face with the seller or buyer. Yeah, I know, there's some great bargains to be had on eBay, but when you factor in the possible headache of having to return an item or disputing a sale, it's just not worth it, to me anyway.

Regards.

Yea as you know...there used to be a time when e-Bay & Paypal were separately owned...and maybe folks got better buyer protection then.

These days...if e-Bay/Paypal has a record that you received a package...then you got your stuff...no disputes!!! Even if it's the wrong stuff, or stuff that the e-Bay description said was one thing...but was really another. I speak from experience.

But then again...I've also had 99% of my e-Bay experiences go perfectly well. It's the 1% bad ones that you always remember!!!

Craig's list I think is much better. I always 100% of the time meet the buyer/seller face to face...so it's really just like newspaper classifieds used to be in the "old days"! Ha ha!

- Nick

OP
K
Reaction score
ok guys, i just figured something out. I kept using a SD card, and that wasn't working. Since it was a 24 in 1 card reader, i decided to try out using a MS Pro Duo and it ended up working great. So i know that leopard is recognizing the port, it just cant read SD cards... even though on the listing it says it does, and SD cards fit great into the port...

I also figured out some information via system profiler...

Product ID: 0x0722
Vendor ID: 0x05e3 (Genesys Logic, Inc.)
Version: 98.02
Serial Number: 000000009802
Speed: Up to 480 Mb/sec
Manufacturer: Generic

any help would be GREATLY appreciated. THANKS!

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ok guys, i just figured something out. I kept using a SD card, and that wasn't working. Since it was a 24 in 1 card reader, i decided to try out using a MS Pro Duo and it ended up working great. So i know that leopard is recognizing the port, it just cant read SD cards... even though on the listing it says it does, and SD cards fit great into the port...

any help would be GREATLY appreciated. THANKS!

What's your question? Basically you know that the 24 in 1 express card works, and it's not reading SD cards.

So either:

- the express card is slightly defective in some way
- the SD card you're using is defective in some way, and maybe a 2nd SD card should be tried

- Nick

OP
K
Reaction score
i have tried two sd cards, one 4gb and one 2gb. I know that the expresscard works because in bootcamp it can read both sd cards fine. But in leopard, it cannot read them.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i have tried two sd cards, one 4gb and one 2gb. I know that the expresscard works because in bootcamp it can read both sd cards fine. But in leopard, it cannot read them.

Given that info...it would seem that the expresscard is not completely Macintosh or Macintosh/Leopard compatible.

I guess you could confirm this by going to your local Apple Store & seeing if they will let you "test" your express card in one of the display laptops.

Or you could go "rogue"...and just do it on your own!;D

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15 inch | 2.66Ghz | 320GB-HD | 4G-RAM | GeForce 9400M & 9600M GT with 512MB DDR3 SDRAM
My Belkin (N10117) Media Reader-Writer ExpressCard Adapter works perfectly in my MBP 15 inch (March 2009 model).

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
thanks for your help guys! looks like i will have to be getting my money back :D

Good luck...hopefully that e-Bay seller is cooperative!

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 27" 12TB Yosmite
It looks as though I too have purchased an incompatible ExpressCard/34 from an eBay seller, even though they said it was Mac compatible. Oh well, the search continues.

Reaction score
If you can't work it out directly with the ebay seller, don't let all the posts discourage you - it's not impossible to get a refund through Paypal. I've done it, but it takes a while. You go to Paypal's resolution center and file a dispute. Then you have to wait a while, because Paypal gives the seller a certain period of time to respond. They'll contact you if they need more information.

In both cases when I had to do this, the seller never bothered to fully respond to my complaint, so Paypal eventually credited me the purchase amount (and, I assume, deducted it from the seller's account). It's just that, unlike buying it from a retail store, you're not going to get an instant refund.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.