Upgrade HDD = Unstable?

Reaction score
I recently took my Macbook Air into the fix it shop, and I got to talking with the guy runnin' the place about upgrading my iMac's 250GB HDD to a 1.5TB HDD. Namely this one:

1.5TB Samsung EcoGreen F2 5400RPM High-Perfo... (HD154UI/Y) at OWC

Legit yeah?

I have the older Intel iMac. Still in it's shiny white plastic case, and the guy said that if I were to install any hard drive bigger than 500GB it'd become unstable. After searching for quite a bit on Google I haven't found anything to confirm this, but the guy was Apple Certified so I have to think he knows what he's talking about. I'd rather go for the gold on this one and get an enormous HDD; I have a 250GB external with my movie collection and such that I would love to render useless. Mainly because it's just another component to drag everywhere... :Grimmace:

Long story short:
Is this true? If I upgrade my white plastic intel iMac's 250GB hard drive to the aforementioned 1.5TB hard drive, will it become unstable and possibly/probably become an enormous headache? Is the computer skippy talking out of his bum? Will Billy and Susie ever be reunited?!

Thanks for any and all help.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch MacBook Pro
Personally, I have never heard of a bigger HD making something unstable.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
me neither, spinning things are spinning things as far as the rest of the machine is concerned.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15in i7 MacBook Pro, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD
The only problem I can see, is a possible increase of heat from the larger drive. But if its in a ventilated area, it should be fine.

You do know you are looking at a 5400RPM drive right? It's going to be a little slower than a 7200RPM drive, which is the standard for desktop drives.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.