MBP Froze while in TM now HD wont mount

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 17" 2.66 core 2 duo & 4gigs ram, iPhone 3G S 16 gig, Dell Mini9 running OSX.5.7 1.6 atom
Hello all,
First I would like to thank everyone on this site for being very informational, and thank you in advance for any help.

I incurred a problem today, my MBP completely froze on me for the first time. The problem is TimeMachine was backing up. Now the Time machine drive will not mount. It does show up in Disk utility. I tried the first aid and this is what it reads. See thumbnail.

Drive and MBP are less than 6 months old. Do I have to format and start over?

Attachments

• Picture 1.png
    Picture 1.png
    210.1 KB · Views: 5
OP
T
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 17" 2.66 core 2 duo & 4gigs ram, iPhone 3G S 16 gig, Dell Mini9 running OSX.5.7 1.6 atom
I've come to the conclusion that TimeMachine is garbage and should not be trusted. Drag and drop from now on here.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I've come to the conclusion that TimeMachine is garbage and should not be trusted. Drag and drop from now on here.

Why are you blaming Time Machine for an external hard drive defect? Time Machine has nothing to do with those drive errors. More than likely the drive has bad sectors or other problems and possibly is defective. If you can not repair the drive with Disk Utility first aid (verify and repair) and it's still under warranty, contact the manufacturer and get an RMA.

Time Machine works as it's supposed to. However, if you don't like or trust Time Machine turn it off and use another method of backup. Take a look at SuperDuper or Carbon Copy Cloner. Drag and drop is not going to cut it. :(

Regards.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.