Memory upgrade for a G5 iMac

Reaction score
I have a G5 iMac 2GHz with 512 MB memory in one slot - the other is empty. What is the best option for improving memory? I had planned on keeping the 512 MB and adding a 1 GB chip. I am confused as to whether or not I have to buy 'matching' memory, i.e. both slots would have to have the same size of memory or even if I have to purchase the memory in matched pairs. I read somewhere that to maximize performance "offered by dual-channel systems, you should install memory in identical pairs. Installing a kitted pair is the best way to ensure that your modules are identical, right down to the chip count". I don't understand what a 'kitted' pair is.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" MBP 2.53 DC2, 09 Mini 2.0 DC2, 07 Mini 2.16 DC2, MB 2.0 DC2, iBook G3 900MHz, G4 Sawtooth 1.6Ghz
all i know is that i had my iMac for over year with 1 512mb and 1 1Gb stick in it and had no problems at all.

OP
N
Reaction score
I had an apple techie do some searching for me and it does look like you do not have to have to match memory. I also am going to opt for the 1 GB addition.

Thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 2.66 Ghz - 4Gig Ram - iPod 60gig Black - iPhone 3GS Black 32gig
I have a G5 iMac 2GHz with 512 MB memory in one slot - the other is empty. What is the best option for improving memory? I had planned on keeping the 512 MB and adding a 1 GB chip. I am confused as to whether or not I have to buy 'matching' memory, i.e. both slots would have to have the same size of memory or even if I have to purchase the memory in matched pairs. I read somewhere that to maximize performance "offered by dual-channel systems, you should install memory in identical pairs. Installing a kitted pair is the best way to ensure that your modules are identical, right down to the chip count". I don't understand what a 'kitted' pair is.

You do not need matching memory modules, - I have a G5 with the standard 512 and an extra 2 gig added.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.