July 17th?

N

Ninja

Why does the iCal icon display the date July 17th if you havent opened it that day? Does July 17 have any significance? Or is it just random?

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
It's my mother's brithday. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G4 Cube 450mhz 832mb
I believe that was the day of wwdc that panther was announced, in 2003.

OP
D

Desolate One

Nope, nothing shows up on the H.R. Giger calendar for that date. iCal must be mistaken. :mac:

OP
J

Jefe3223

I've always wondered the same thing. I don't generally think about it, 'cause I don't use iCal, but my mother has it on her dock and asks me about it, like, every time I'm home. So far, "macman" has the answer that makes the most sense...unless it was just completly random...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G4 Cube 450mhz 832mb
Jefe3223 said:
I've always wondered the same thing. I don't generally think about it, 'cause I don't use iCal, but my mother has it on her dock and asks me about it, like, every time I'm home. So far, "macman" has the answer that makes the most sense...unless it was just completly random...
I may have the "best answer", but I'm wrong. it would be nice if it displayed the date for each day.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
It will show the date each day if you leave it running in the Dock. It really doesn't use any resources to keep it running over shutting it down.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 13" | MacBook Pro 13" | Mac Mini 2GHz C2D
MacAddikt gave me a script to open iCal and then close it on startup. It slows the startup down but i dont have to see the July 17th

OP
D

danger_boy_13

It is because of the release of Panther at WWDC. That is the right answer.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" G5 iMac; 14.1" G4 iBook; 60Gig iPod Video
I could see that Apple might have used a date important to them (such as the Panther release date) just as they have "Greetings from Cupertino" stamped in the Mail icon.

-Chris

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.