macbook pro 85*C at startup

Reaction score
in the past week or so my macbook pro has been around 85 degrees C at start up.

i know macbook pros get extremely hot, and usually its normal, but this just recently started happening and doesn't seem right.

the CPU level is around 95% user activity, but i only have basic programs running - this happens even if no programs are open.

I've checked the activity monitor and nothing is running at over 0.5 CPU and my hd has about 15 gb free.

any ideas what could be causing this or ways to troubleshoot?

the laptop is so hot that it is literally impossible to use with out a table, and sometimes the keys themselves, especially on the left side of the keyboard are too hot to touch.

i am in nyc and it takes almost a week to get an appointment with a genius at the mac store so any ideas in figuring out whats up would be greatly appreciated.

THANK YOU!!

Reaction score
if its the new macbook pros then there is something wrong cause mine right now after 1h usage is at 40C startup cooler than that.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
the laptop is so hot that it is literally impossible to use with out a table, and sometimes the keys themselves, especially on the left side of the keyboard are too hot to touch.
This part caught my attention. You should always be using your MBP on a hard surface such as a table or a desk and not on something soft like a blanket, a rug or a bed. Doing so prevents proper ventilation, which would increase the temperature of your MBP. What kinds of surfaces do you frequently use your MBP on?

As for the CPU usage, open up Activity Monitor (/Applications/Utilities/Activity Monitor.app) and sort the processes by CPU usage. If your CPU usage is really at 95%, something is using more than 0.5% of your CPU.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Make that appointment pronto. Figures quoted are way to high even if it is summer up there.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.