Backing up in Photoshop Lightroom

Reaction score
I would appreciate advice backing up photos in Photoshop Lightroom for Mac. When I back up the catalogue onto a removable disc, it appears to only back up catalogue details, not the actual photos themselves. I get a folder called 'Lightroom 2 catalogue.Ircat' on the removable drive each time I back up. To get the photos backed up, I then export the catalogue to the external drive as well, by selecting 'all photographs' from the catalogue and using the export command. Is this the right way of doing it? If I lost a hard drive and had to back up, would this give me all my settings and keywords back? Seems like a dumb question but I'd appreciate the confirmation. Setting up keywords on thousands of photos takes so long I would hate to have to do it again.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15in i7 MacBook Pro, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD
I would just use Super Duper or Carbon Copy Cloner and select the Lightroom folder as your source. Then it will be an identical copy of what is currently in your Lightroom library.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
BlackBook 13.3" 2.13ghz Intel Core 2 Duo 2gb SDRAM 160gb HD
Is using super duper or carbon copy better than disk utilities for that?

Reaction score
The simplest answer is to copy and paste.

It does require you to be organised and ensure you do it every time you import new images. It's part of my routine. Import, Copy to external hard drive, copy to DVD ( yes I do get paranoid about loosing images). I have nearly 2Tb worth of images and found that backup software was taking ages to check for updates to the image file.

The copy drive is an identical copy of the original drive, which means if the main drives dies all I have to do is copy everything back. Your keyword, develop settings and presets are stored in the database so provided you back that up regularly you shouldn't have any problems.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
BlackBook 13.3" 2.13ghz Intel Core 2 Duo 2gb SDRAM 160gb HD
Copy paste is better than copying/duplicating the disk in Disk Utilities? Or is that where you do it? Doing that on the desktop... ain't that gonna take a looopnnnng time?

Ok for anything related to Lightroom I go to the flickr group and Adobe's own forum for answers.

I still wanna know though how good is super duper and carbon copy...;D

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.