HP Laserjet 1012

Reaction score
I have been having problems with the connection to my HP Laserjet printer. I have an Intel based MacBook.

Several times a day when I print a document, email, etc. the print job just hangs, and the only way I remedy is to unplug the USB cable and or powercord, re-plug, then resume job.

I'm not sure if it's an incompatibility with this model of HP printers, since I have used another HP deskjet with zero problems. Has anybody else had problems with HP 1012?

thanks

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I've learned to live with the same problem on my HP 1012.. not that I like it but I've tried everything to resolve it with no joy. The problem is the poor performance of the driver(s) supplied by HP. (What's new?) :(

Work around 1: When the print job hangs or fails to print, double click on the HP 1012 icon which is in the dock. That will bring up the printer dialog. Highlight the print job, press delete and start over.

Work around 2: Bring up the printer dialog like before. This time, press the "restart printer" button.

You might want to download the free HP Open Printer drivers and give them a try instead: Link

BTW, the HP 1012 operates normally in Windows, no hang ups, no buffer problems.

Regards.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
The hpijs-foomatic driver (link above) never caused this problem for me when I had a 1012. It worked great, until I decided I wanted color and got a Brother. Of course, I was also using a hpjetdirect print server... perhaps that was the difference.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I've got both the foomatic and the HP series drivers installed. What I think happens is that the HP series drivers have priority. I probably should just uninstall the HP series drivers and revert to the foomatic only. But like you, I needed a good color printer and purchased a Canon Pixma MP 620. However, for those large B&W print jobs, you can beat the economy the HP 1012 gives.

I still keep it around for just that purpose. :)

Regards.

OP
C
Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback. At least I know it's this printer. I'm not sure if I can live with it, so I may try another printer!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks for the feedback. At least I know it's this printer. I'm not sure if I can live with it, so I may try another printer!

Before you trash the 1012, try the link I gave above to download new printer drivers. I just went there and saw they had an updated driver package dated Feb 2009. Note, however, that you must also download the Ghostscript package and the footmatic rip package in addition to the HPLJS driver package. That's three files to download.

Install them and then go to Printer preferences and delete your 1012. Add it back in (make sure it's turned on) and select the new driver you downloaded. Let's see if that resolves it. I'm going to give it a test run later on this evening when I'll have some larger BW print jobs to run.

Regards.

OP
C
Reaction score
Let me know how it goes. If I download all these drivers and rip packages, will they interfere with other networked printers and Rips on my network?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Let me know how it goes. If I download all these drivers and rip packages, will they interfere with other networked printers and Rips on my network?

So far, so good. I installed the new driver package last night (3 files), deleted the 1012, rebooted, added it back in and selected the new drivers I downloaded. Printing is faster and so far, no hangups in the buffer like before. The HP drivers are still there and can be selected as an alternative.

And no, they will not interfere with other networked printers and Rips. Give it a try, you can always go back to the original drivers if it doesn't work out for you.

Regards.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.