Transmission optimization

Reaction score
I use Transmission for my regular torrent downloads. Since the 27th of August I have been downloading a torrent that is extremely large (46.3gb), and am a little irked that I have uploaded it all but only have downloaded about 65% of it. If anyone has any pointers on how I can milk Transmission for all it's worth, I would really appreciate it!

T

todd51

I'm going to assume that your using Transmission for the purpose of free software and nothing pirated? Because talking about that would be against the rules here at MF.

The best way to get good download speeds is to have a high number of "seeders". These are people who are uploading the complete file to you. Also, check under the Preferences and make sure the port your using is forwarded to the IP of your computer. This will also help you maintain a faster speed.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
I presume you mean 27th of July and the only true way of speeding up transfers (regardless of Bittorrent client) is to hook up with more seeders and for that you might want to add more trackers than what came with the torrent file.

OP
D-Rok
Reaction score
Ok, thanks for the inputs, and yes for the record I am downloading free software -- I don't do that pirating jazz. I'll work on looking for seeders.

Reaction score
It is a rare case when you can choose the number of seeders. Hence, other factors to pay your attention to are:
-port, as said before... Go to Preferences=>Network, and next to Peer Listening Port should be a green label saying it is opened.
-You have to setup the Speeds properly. for this you have to measure your connection speed, and plug the Upload Speed of your connection to the Azureus Calculator (google it) it will advice the optimum values for connection settings.

The second point helped me a lot once, hope it will help you.

OP
D-Rok
Reaction score
Whoa...I never heard of/saw a Peer Listening Port. I know that when I go into Network I see the green and red dots saying whether Bluetooth or whatever is open/closed, but I don't think I'm at the right spot for PLP. Also, would the calculator work for Transmission, even though it's, you know, Azureus?

...Nevermind, haha. I was looking under System Preferences > Network. My bad. I found the PLP, and it indeed is open!

Reaction score
You had to go to the Preferences of Transmission, not the System Preferences, just in case I didn't express my point correctly.
Transmission=>Preferences=>Network...

The calculator will give you the optimum numbers for Upload Limit, For Global Peers connected, Peers per Torrent, etc...
Some say that this calculator is not efficient, it suggests to use 80% of your broadband upload speed for Transmission, and some people believe 70 or 90 should be used. But for me it worked just fine... My connection is limited to 3 Mbs (down) and I got it after tuning the settings this way.
;)
Sharing is Caring (c) ***

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac OS X: Version 10.6, Processor: 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, Memory: 2 GB 667 MHz
Could you explain how to port forward the port to your IP address? I have tried some tutorials but no luck yet. I have a Belkin N router and I get good DL speed but I'm not getting the full potential. Could you let me know what all needs to be done? Thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2013 rMBP, i7, 750m gpu, OSX versions 10.9.3, 10.10
if you haven't already looked, check here:

PortForward.com - Free Help Setting up Your Router or Firewall

look up the specific model of belkin router you have (they have a list of router model numbers as belkin makes many wireless routers) and they should have specific instructions should it be possible (and assuming they have your model listed)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac OS X: Version 10.6, Processor: 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, Memory: 2 GB 667 MHz
Ok I have changed my ip address from dynamic to static inorder to do port forwarding. When I go into my routers settings for port forwarding and set up the port that Transmission uses it never goes through. It is still closed even though I forwarded that port to my ip address. Can anyone tell me whats causing this? Is there a certain port in Transmission that works? Also, could my firewall be causing this issue?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.