Checking file system on C

tsu

Reaction score
Hi,
I'm experiencing this problem:
I always used Parallel and sometime I booted XP.
In the last 2 weeks booting XP it's a serious problem.
When I boot into XP it gives me an error screen saying it has to check my File System. Every time.

"Checking file system on C: The type of the file system is FAT32. One of your disks needs to be checked for consistency. You may cancel the disk check, but it is strongly recommended that you continue. To skip disk checking, press any key within 10 seconds(s)."

Press any key within 10 seconds to skip

Problem is, won't respond to any keys (Macbook), and hence won't let me skip that screen. The check it needs a lot of time, and then XP doesn't boot.

If I boot XP in Parallel I'm able to skip the check and then XP boots. But if I switch again always is going wrong.

I tried to remove the partition and I did it again (another strange thing is that installing Xp I saw two partition of 200mb, maybe bootcamp?). I had some problem to do it again because of some errors in the disk, but I run Utility Disc form the DVD and then it went well.

But then again the problem (twice after installing Matlab, but I do not think is related).

I tried to disable the check as described here Disable or Stop Auto CHKDSK During Windows Startup » Raymond.CC Blog
but now I always a black screen when I try to boot (while Parallel is still working well).

What could I do? I'm running some experiments for my PhD and I really need to boot Windows.

MacBook 2GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
Mac OS X (10.5.7)

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
If you're using the Boot Camp partition as a VM in Parallels, this can happen. Both Parallels and Fusion will sometimes cause corruption to the XP boot sector when the Boot Camp partition is selected to run as a VM.

If you're going to run XP on your MacBook, either run it from a Boot Camp partition or from a VM but not both. I know it's convenient sometimes to be able to run it both ways, but eventually corruption occurs.

This does not happen running Vista or Windows 7 as they use a different boot sector scheme which is not easily corrupted.

Regards.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.