13 inch 2.26 vs SSD vs 6GB ram vs 2.53

Reaction score
hello all. choices, choices. i have narrowed it down to 3:

1. 2.53 machine with 6gb ram (+4gb aftermarket chip), 250gb stock drive. (~$1750)
2. 2.53 machine with 4gb ram and 128gb SSD. ($1850)
3. 2.26 machine with 6gb ram, 128gb SSD. (~$2000)

now, i have a 2.0ghz core 2 duo macbook, 2gb, 80gb drive. i bought it for home, but now use it for work as i quit my job and am freelancing. it just isnt cutting it. i am a graphic designer. my consistent job is a small magazine, using indesign photoshop and illustrator all at once. i also do motion graphics sometimes, with after effects mainly (sometimes a bit of cinema 4d, but just for "fx," no serious modeling or anything). and, i keep firefox and mail open, as well as calender and other random stuff.

when i am in a mad rush, i cant wait for a spinning wheel for a minute while cutting and pasting between photoshop an indesign. or, when i jump out of bed to finish up before the deadline, i cant wait 3-4 minutes for my machine to un-swap itself and become usable. switching to firefox, it takes literally 2 minutes sometimes for the swap to go back to ram. etc, etc, etc. it just is too slow for serious work. ANYWAY... i just need a quick and responsive machine. which of the 3 above is best for me? any expert opinions? i am all ears!

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Well you should probably narrow things down to one of the 2.53ghz machines to get the most CPU performance.

Don't get hung up regarding the amount of ram...you can upgrade that easily later on, and much cheaper than what Apple charges for ram.

As far as the SSD vs. "stock" hard drive. Plenty of graphic designers such as yourself have survived with "regular" hard drives...personally I don't think it's necessary to get a SSD drive.

So I would recommend getting a MacBook Pro with:

- the 2.53ghz processor

- get a "stock" hard drive in the size you need. Get a 7200rpm drive for more performance, but remember a 7200rpm drive will use more power, and so battery life will be effected when running on the battery.

- just get the stock amount of ram, and upgrade the ram after you get it with ram from Find the latest Performance Upgrades, Firewire and USB Hard Drives, SATA, Memory, Laptop Battery, and more at OWC

- you didn't mention what size display you're getting...but being a graphic designer, you should certainly get a 15"...not a wimpy 13"

Hope this helps,

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.