Macbook OS X doesn't come past loading screen - possible permissions problem??

Reaction score
When I turn on my macbook it stops at the white screen with the apple logo on with the loading circle in the the bottom. I am still able to boot in windows on bootcamp. I have tried to reset the NVRAM, to clean the SCM, start i safe-mode, and also tried to repair the mac partition using disc utility where it says that there are no errors on the partition. And none of the above has done anything.

My suspicion is about the permissions though. I seem to remember I tried to make my mac partition less accessible on a network, messing with the permissions for the drive. This is also something I encounter whenI try to repair permissions with the disc utility which is stopped with the following error message. "Error: The underlying task reported failure on exit"

I'm using Mac OS X 10.5.7 and just ask anything about specs or settings. Then I will try to find out about it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.66Ghz Penryn C2D iMac
Do you have any external drives hooked up to it while trying to boot?

OP
V
Reaction score
No.. But I just tried running in single user mode.. and it says that the root device is mounted read-only. Maybe that is the issue..?

The only partitions I have is one for windows XP on bootcamp, and my Macintosh partition which is also the root device..

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.66Ghz Penryn C2D iMac
In single user mode it is normal for it to say Root is read only, keeps people from doing damage to the file system. Are you running this in Verbose mode under a normal start up?

OP
V
Reaction score
No.. However I have solved the problem now using alot of commands in single user mode, where I unlocked my boot partition.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.