iAntiVirus

Reaction score

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Just because the pictures are different doesn't mean something is wrong. One could simply be a logo, the other the icon for the application itself. If you are really concerned, just ensure that you get the software from the developer and not elsewhere.

As for getting an AV program itself, unless you visit sketchy websites, download files you shouldn't and open attachments from people you don't know and trust, you should be fine from any sort of malware. While it's nice to see that you want to be security conscious, consider the likelihood that you will get some sort of malware. I only say this because AV programs are CPU hogs and you might find it more distracting and cumbersome than helpful.

If you feel you need it, by all means install it.

OP
M
Reaction score
thanx

and just one more question....
i constantly get finger print stains on my mac but wipe them off with the cleaning cloth that came with the macbook pro. i usually apply pressure on the screen but support it with my other hand. is that ok??? i mean will the screen get damaged because of the pressure that i am applying to get the stains off???

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Depends on how much pressure you're applying. If I were you, I would follow Apple's recommendations for cleaning and caring for your MBP if you are concerned about how to best maintain your machine.

OP
M
Reaction score
it doesn't really say though...but i apply decent pressure on the screen

will that ruin the macbook pro screen??? how can u tell whether screen is damaged?

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
it doesn't really say though...but i apply decent pressure on the screen
If you are concerned that you are applying to much pressure, then you probably are. My advice would be to apply none to very little as you shouldn't need much to remove fingerprints and smudges.

will that ruin the macbook pro screen??? how can u tell whether screen is damaged?
You'll know. If the screen is damaged, any number of things could occur but because it is an output device that you look at constantly, you will likely quickly see problems with the display such as discolouring or, if severe, cracks.

Like I said earlier, there should be no reason to apply very much (if any) pressure to clean off smudges and fingerprints. Be cognizant of how much pressure you're applying and be aware that too much can be a problem.

Reaction score
iAntiVirus only protects against Mac-specific viruses.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Unibody MBP (2009), White MB (2009), iMac G4
And there are no viruses for Mac.. so the only reason to run an antivirus is to keep from passing on Windows viruses to Windows users.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Windows viruses only work on Windows. Unless the virus was written to be aware of BC partitions and had the ability to manipulate HFS partitions, no Windows virus will affect files on your OS X partition. I can't imagine too many virus writers take these into consideration when writing a virus.

Reaction score
Windows viruses only work on Windows. Unless the virus was written to be aware of BC partitions and had the ability to manipulate HFS partitions, no Windows virus will affect files on your OS X partition. I can't imagine too many virus writers take these into consideration when writing a virus.
Really? Okay...

I guess you can tell I'm not a virus expert, but it seems very possible that a malefactor could theoretically write a virus which could affect both OS X and Windows.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I guess you can tell I'm not a virus expert, but it seems very possible that a malefactor could theoretically write a virus which could affect both OS X and Windows.
From what I know, I think it could be done as it seems just about anything can be written but I doubt that it would get to the point where a virus proved to be a real threat to both. Now, perhaps someone with more programming experience can better explain the plausibility of a realistic platform-agnostic virus.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I can say with a fair amount of confidence that most people will agree with me.

Why so concerned about the pressure? If you are truly this concerned, don't apply any pressure.

OP
M
Reaction score
hey, vansmith and every1 else..i have another quick question concerning the trackpad on my new macbook pro
the top 1/4 inch on my macbook pro does not click or anything. it is hard.. also it gets harder to click as i go up on my macbook pro
is this normal??

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.